Fly Fishing Forum banner

Another fancy one

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  boarmountain 
#1 ·
Here is my first attempt at a crest wing .

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Boarmountain,

Not bad! If you make the tail only a half shank long, it will be more horizontal and this will allow the wing to sit closer to the body for a better looking and more fishable fly. Also, the crests in the wing should go from short on the bottom (no longer than the base of the tail) to the longest one on top (even with the end of the tail). These changes will make a world of difference in how the fly looks and how it fishes.

By the way, I fish crest (or topping) wing flies in bright sun during the summer. One of my favorite low water summer flies for use in mid-day is Kelson's Variegated Sun Fly tied in the red variation.

Hook: size 8 to 12 standard or low-water
Tag: fine oval silver
Tail: golden pheasant crest (topping) and Indian Crow
substitue
Body: black, red, and yellow single strand yarn tied side by side
and spiraled side by side up the body in a cigar shape.
Hackle: black only at shoulder
Wing: golden pheasant crest feathers (toppings) 4 to 6 of them
depending on the hook size.
Head: black, small

#6 · (Edited)
Flytyer,
This fly is tied on a 1/0 hook. I made the tail longer on purpose so I would have a high wing, w/ the jungle cock under the crests. This was intended for a shadowbox , as I don't fish for salmon.
And the crests do go from short on the bottom to the longest on top.The bottom crest was chosen to "top" the jungle cock.Also, if you notice, the "tail" is tied in at the middle of the fly, at the second herl junction.
Upon studying a bunch of crest wings published in "Art of Angling Journal" , if there are body feathers, the bottom crest needs to cover them, even if it means the crest dosen't meet the base of the tail.This is what I did. I did see a fly w/ no high body feathers that did "measure up" as you say. I guess in creative flies, anything goes. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.