Fly Fishing Forum banner

Got the all clear from Ground Control!

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Chris 
#1 ·
About this time of year the question of Xmas presents comes up with my nearest and dearest and I was ready this year - combined with March '02 Birthday it's going to be a 'Yak! Looking forward to getting out to all those places off the CT coast which are innaccessible for the foot soldiers and paddling with the gang at Monomoy ;)

#2 ·
Sounds good Adrian! I am going to write a similar letter to santa too "dear santa - I hope I've been good enough to get the kayak I wish for" ;)

Right now I am thinking more in the lines of credit toward a yak later, I really don't know enough about them and want to test them firsthand before deciding.

#3 ·
I'm currently attempting to sell my "poor man's modified white water kayak" on Ebay in the hopes of purchasing a more sea worthy vessel come spring time.

I haven't paddled this kayak yet but I'm leaning in it's direction so far.

It seems to be the perefect balance between price and function for me.

Here are some reviews if anyone is interested: #1 #2 #3 #4

It seems the major criticisms are the size of both hatches(10"), the fit of the hatch covers, and deck rigging that pops out of the clips. The new model has addressed all of these concerns. Now the front hatch is a 10" and the rear is a 16". I believe they have modified the hatch covers and they have replaced the deck rigging clamps. I'll have to check that out further, though, to be sure.

~Mark

#4 ·
Try it for yourself "paddle day"...

Adrian...If you can wait 'til Spring, North Cove Outfitters in Old Saybrook CT has a demo day once...Also, the "shows" usually have a few dealers showing off their stuff. Options/accessories are getting better all the time!

And...I've got a few to choose from in the garage at AreaSixtyOne in Yarmouth...'would be happy to let any member try out the Pongo and Manteo.
Cheers!

#5 ·
Hey Pete!

So, does this mean you're now a Cape Cod resident?

I would love to have a splash about in your Pungo sometime:)

Based on the reviews and first hand reports it seems like a good bet for my needs - i.e. getting from A to B then getting out to wade. At the same time that perception carolina does look rather "spiffy";)

#6 ·
As usual good job sniffing up a great product. Although I am thinking over super-light weight as an asset for flats launch/take outs, the overall durability/stability/speed/tracking/price factors you point out are compelling.

I'll have to test drive one.

#9 ·
You guys are such a font of information!

I totally forgot about LL Bean. I used to live just 20 minutes from their Freeport store. Next time I'm up visiting my parents, I'll have to make an excursion out there and check out what they have. Then there's North Cove Outfitters in Old Saybrook (30 minutes away), and the store in Collinsville that I'll be checking out early next season on my way to the Farmington. Comparison shopping is getting better and better.

Now I just need to get the all clear from Ground Control.....;) Heck, the way I'm spoiling her this Christmas it should be no problem.

#10 ·
Success!! I just sold my kayak on Ebay for $350. That was a good deal for both myself and the purchaser.

With that extra money the Perception Expedition Carolina with a rudder just materialized under my X-Mas tree.

When is that kayak clave..........?

~Mark Doogue

#11 ·
Congrats Mark!

I am still undecided. I'm going to review inflatables before going with a conventional kayak. I guess I am not really a kayak enthusiast, just need a ride to the outer shoals and islands. I'd just stick with my pontoon boat if it could make headway in current, but they are designed for floating down whitewater current and that's about it. Really great for launching and landing in the surf though. You can get in and out of it with ease even in deep water because it's two pontoons one on either side. Once again I am not interested in fishing while sitting down and not really into fighting big fish from a fixed seated angle so it's purely transport for me, personal preference.

I wish they made an inflatable kayak that weighed nothing and had a clever rowing frame built into a hole in the middle so you could literally pick it up and plop it over your head, coming up in the middle. Then a little muscle-up like the old parallel bar days and you are in the cockpit ready to row. Of course that hole would put drag on the bottom contour of the vessel, so you could do something like a skirt or something that can be opened up. Hull design could compensate for it I'm sure.

My point is that kayaks are made with rowing in mind, and I only care about rowing because it gets me somewhere. Once in the area, I want to be able to move from spot to spot to spot without any fuss or muss. For me a skirt is out of the question. I guess I really want something with the in/out ease of the pontoon boat but with more current slicing ability.

Maybe what I really want is an old tin boat with a 20 hp and a mik jug full of mortar for an anchor! :p

Search continues...

#12 ·
The agony of defeat......

AAAARRRGHHH!!! The woman that bought my kayak is from Kansas City!!! I specifically said that I would deliver the kayak for free, but, only within 50 miles of Boston. I have a feeling this woman is going to run for the hills when she sees the shipping fee.

Any one have thoughts on how to ship this kayak cheaply?

Juro, maybe you should look at folding kayaks as a solution?

~Mark

#13 ·
Mark, I looked at folding kayaks too a while back but was initially put off by the price. Now when I look at all the extras included, plus the added flexibility, it makes you think. These boats are the same basic design used by special forces. This company used to have a distributor in NYC - I'll have to check them out.

#14 ·
Mark -

I knew you would come up with a good suggestion!

This would provide a compact solution to those who might be concerned about a yak on their vehicle. With a full size pickup I don't have that problem.

Although an inflatable would require inflation, 50 cents at any Mobil will do the trick in a minute or two and it will remain inflated for the season like my pontoon boat.

I have a feeling that the ability to use air pressure for rigidity will reduce the weight dramatically. Haven't found it yet though.

Juro

#16 ·
I spent quite some time researching folding kayaks. These bad boys are rock solid, reliably used for artic trips. This says to me they are more than adequate for a coastal fly rodder.

Pro's: Lightweight, durable, stable, fast, lots of storage area

Con's: Expensive

New York Kayak has some great info & links to manufacturers:

http://www.nykayak.com/Pages/KAYAKS.html

Anyone remember the guy with the folding skiff at the spring clave? Spent some time talking with him, he covers a lot of water, 15 HP outboard, stands and casts from the boat... this may be what Juro needs.

http://www.porta-bote.com/

#17 ·
More on inflatables...

http://www.adventuresports.com/asap/kayaks/innova/safari.htm

Hmm... price OK, only 24 pounds? And I can bring it on the plane when I go places to fish!

Located in Edmonds WA! I could pack it as luggage this spring :)

And they are available at REI so there is no need. They are also at Charles River rentals, so I should be able to test drive one. Sounding better all the time. Testimonials on their site are impressive.

#20 ·
Frankly even those $149 one man REI outlet deals look tempting, then I could get the Ross Canyon reel for Xmas with it :p. It's a toy alright but at 15 pounds I could tether it to my wading belt and work the flats like a maniac for $149! Roll it up into a back pack and bring it anywhere too.

#21 ·
If you guys are looking at the Stearns inflatable, I advise you to try it out before you buy it - regardless of what it looks like or the picture of use you have in mind. It may be the ticket to heaven for some, but some drawbacks are built in, and may thwart your best laid plans. Heavy denier nylon still wears on sand. Barbless hooks still penetrate woven material, creating penetrations. Little or no provision is available for a skirt over an inflatable with a cockpit opening as large as the Stearns cockpit, etc. I'm glad I didn't go with it, no matter how much it called to me.

#22 · (Edited)
Couple of things...
1st if you're in Freeport anyway there is a Lincoln Canoe & Kayak storeabout a mile south of Beans on the left just after the Grityy Mcduff Brew Pub- conveniently enough. They have some nice boats too and often have good deals at the end of the season on demo's.

Next... Anyone one have a report on the overall salt water performance of the Pungos? I am a big and very inflexible-physicaly that is- guy and I like the cocpit size on them. How do they do in the surf and how manuverable are they. Also, can you make decent time in them? They seem as if they may be a little pokey judging from the width. Love 'em in fresh water though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.