Fly Fishing Forum banner

Crab on a loop

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JonC 
#1 ·
So here's how to make a crab quickly.
Tie in some marabou at the bend and wrap up around so it points upward.
Tie in some rubber legs so they point straight up.
Wrap some .035 wire from a point opposite the hook point all the way to the eye, saturate with glue then cover with floss.
Form a loop and bring the thread forward.
I use a gallows to hold the loop, it makes life easier, comb out some EP or similar fibers and insert in the loop keeping them as parallel as possible and spin the loop.
Palmer the loop forward while teasing the fibers back so you don't wind over them, tie off at the head and tie in some rubber legs, whip finish.
Tease out the fibers and comb them out into a flat shape, then put UV acrylic along the hook top and bottom to hold fibers in place.
Jon

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, this method I've been developing over the last couple of years, UV acrylics kind of brought it all together.
Jon

#6 ·
bruce.campo said:
Jon - really good stuff here. What material are you using again? Have you tired this patter with clouser eyes? I'd be concerned the fly won't flip and ride hook up (asuming it is supposed to).
I use EP 3D Fiber but there are some similar products you could use.I like to use wire because it is easier to put on and it doesn't move around when the fly has been used a while. If you tie in the marabou and the rubber legs pointed straight up it will land on the bottom right side up most of the time which is about all you can hope for. This fly, tied on a #4 hook (as in the post) sinks fairly fast and can be cast with a six weight, a lot of the crabs you see weigh a ton and you need a nine to cast them and they hit the water like a rock. I like something with a reasonably soft landing that casts easily so I can make a quick shot far enough in front of a fish to give the fly time to sink.
Jon

Jim,
I hadn't posted it till after our lunch. Glad you found your chest pack!
JC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.