Fly Fishing Forum banner

5/5 Club - AWESOME cones Dfix!!!

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  JDJones 
#1 ·
Dave -

Finally got back from the left coast and got time to think about what's in my stripping basket... those cones ROCK! We need to find out who makes them for the art companies for bulk purchase, you know they have to be cheap the way they are being used.

I'll get them glued in for weekend follies and let you know.

THANKS!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
In the prior parsimony thread...

I identified the manufacturer from the flange face. Now, comes the task of finding a resource with enough throw-away stock because they use enough arts and crafts paper :rolleyes: (Charrette)

This plug is made by Badger Plug, Greenville, Wisconsin. Made of HDPE, item # 123P21. Patent 5,351,825
(gee, cut and paste is so easy :D )

Porcupine - these aren't the same KIND of plastic cones !:tsk_tsk: (leave it to you....:whoa: )

Juro - just had this thought: what about roughing the blind side and it's attendant position in the wash basin, then 5200ing them in, instead of some other type of cement.

#4 ·
rough in: good idea but would the open end of the cone cause havoc when mixed with the surf - I'm thinking the retreating water would want to suck the basket off the wearer - as opposed to the wave pushing the unperferated basket bottom & the wearer up onto the beach...orsomethinglikethat.

source: Charrett might not be the source but one of thier customers would be - Strato or some other high volume/high end printing shop...what specific kind of paper are these things included with again?
Did you ask the mfgr directly? Never know, might be cheap enough to buy a bag of 'em and do a kit a la Blados Crease Fly...

differences: I knew that - there's not one that has an earing or tatoo.! :whoa: :eyecrazy: :eek:

#5 · (Edited)
[rough in: good idea but would the open end of the cone cause havoc when mixed with the surf - I'm thinking the retreating water would want to suck the basket off the wearer - as opposed to the wave pushing the unperferated basket bottom & the wearer up onto the beach...orsomethinglikethat.]

I don't see how, as these flanges are flat, would be roughed on the blind side which would mate to the belly of the dishpan; there wouldn't be any openness to water; these are mounted inside the dishpan, the bottom isn't perfed to accept them (or am I missing a key point?)

Cut&PasteAGAIN:eyecrazy: from the previous thread.

Or, if your company/organization has a Graphic Arts/Visual (whatever) department that uses adhesive back photobase, heavy coated paper, transparent sheet or what have you like the stuff Charrette sells, then you can scrounge the plastic tube ends, which are molded like an Atlas rocket nosecone, with a .250 flat flange. Cone measures 3.00" long X 1.875" dia. Flange is 2.50" dia. Cone shoulders off at 1.750 to a blunt tip of .5

I made a point of reading the boxes these "types" of papers and films come from when I posted this initially.

Charrette ALSO has a large Graphic Art reproduction business they do with engineering firms, etc.

Hey, You, where's you pencil, eh ???

#6 ·
rough-in: So you're just gonna use 5200 to glue to the bottom of the pan or am I missing something? - probably...

I'll see if I know somebody that uses a lot of that stuff - we use tons of rolled paper but no "adhesive back photobase, heavy coated paper, transparent sheet " and definetly no "what have you" stock. I may know a firm that does and can make arraingements.

#7 ·
Just talked to the manuf. Dave - you da man!

6 cones will trick out any dishpan to the hilt. Any decent marine glue will do the trick. The finish is already slicker than the top-end stripping baskets out there.

Extra cones after the minimum order is met will go toward fund raising at northeast flyshows.

Please reply here if you will commit to purchasing 24 cones, enough for four tubs, for $15.50

Thanks - if we get enough, I'll put the order in ASAP.

#8 ·
Juro,
Don't really have the need for four tubs, but would like enough for two. is that possible?

Nick

#10 ·
COOL! $15.50 toward the cause! A whopping $7.75 each for Nick and Sprocket for 12 cones each.

Anyone else? Need a few more to make it worth the order.

Ask Dfix, these cones are the best looking ones I've seen and the material is phenomenal. Dave - of course the referral fee is that I pick up your dozen on me.

#13 · (Edited)
Everybody Listen Up

This means you, Porcupine, and everyone else who'd even think of using CA to attempt bonding polyethylene to polyethylene or polypropylene -

IT AIN'T GONNA WOIK !:tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk:

Must be a flexible bonding material like silicone or 4200 or 5200 or Pliobond or a gun grade urethane or ....

Juro, you left out the key peice of info - what's a minimum order count???

#14 ·
stripping basket update

After serious tangles fishing the surf on Friday I spent rainy Saturday working on my stripping basket.

After trips to 2 hardware stores, I found the solution - weed-whacker refill "straights"...not the kind that comes in spools. These come in a tube and the stuff is memory free and fairly stiff.

Drilled 10 or so holes in the basket, threaded in the straights and heated the tips. Then pulled the tip back through the drilled hole, pushed through again and flattened melted mono against the bottom of the basket. This leaves a small melted mono rim inside the basket as well as the flattened bottom. They do not come out and no glue is needed.

Result was I could shoot the entire line and some backing with my 350 Grain over and over with no tangles in a wind. Works for me.

:D

#15 ·
Dave -

I've tried the double melt method, perhaps you're using a thicker walled basket than I had. Within a few trips they worked loose and once they started to tip over they caused knots.

I've also tried going to thin refrigerator tubing, more melt material and the same occurred over time.

If they hold up I would say you've done well.

Dfix -

Marine goop holds, but it has an odor even after a couple of weeks.

Aquaseal will hold anything and no odor, just a hefty price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.