Fly Fishing Forum banner

new flats boat?

41K views 78 replies 10 participants last post by  juro 
#1 · (Edited)
Tracy and myself are starting to get bored watching the garden grow and our son Nolan will be ending high school in one year. We may have decided that we are made of gypsy blood, anyway till we are too old to do so so we are thinking of a perfect cruising boat to sail again in. This one boat that we are interested in is so different than our old Mason 44. I could fish flats anywhere in the world with her as she just draws 1 meter and can be beached. She is made to go anywhere in the world even the cold climates above 50 degrees north or south. Would she make a good flats boat or what. Shoot us down if you think this is crazy or is this a poor idea in modern cruising sail boats. :smokin:

www.voiliers-boreal.com/

#36 ·
Steve, the link just brings me to the home page. Do you have album names we can search on?

On a related note I tried getting on to photo bucket per loons post but couldn't get past the sguigle letters in the sign-up routine. After 5 trys I typed in F**k it. That didn't work either.

#37 ·
Fred, there should be two thumbs on that home page, one for the house and one for the boat. Just click on the pics and you come to all the photos. Anyway that was how it was maybe I should just type F it too anf them go have a drink or joint or something.:smokin:

#38 ·
Well we are down to three months and counting on the new flats boat. I'm working full time on boat stuff and Boreal is working full time on getting boat done for the end of June.

I think this will work.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

There should be pictures from my first trip to France and the last trip Tracy and I took in September. The new pics are in with the older pics not the end file. There are some house pics of the new house we built in Hood River too.

Cheers

Steve and Tracy

#39 ·
Hi Steve -

Back on the Hood River project again now, and will probably be there late March or early April thereabouts. How's the fishing on the Hood then?

Couldn't see any pics on that link but I can only imagine how the vessel is coming together by now

best to your family,
J

#41 ·
I think you have to make the subject directories public for others to view.

Photobucket works pretty good. I'll e'mail a link with pics of the grandson and my son's wedding for chuckles. Retirement looms this summer though I have a lot of work to do to get ready.

So, are you planning to stop and play with stripers on your way to France?

#45 ·
Hey Juro and Fred,

We were going to come to the cape to the cottage but Tracy's brother rented it out, Idiot! We will be in Boston area last week of June but not sure we will get to the cape now. Leaving Boston July first for Brittany, we have rented an old 17th century farm house for 3 weeks till we can move on the boat and start sea trials.

Sorry I can't go fishing with you guys on the cape or at least I don't think I can. But over in Treguier the town the boat is being built they have some type of bass screaming around on the tide chasing bait. They are all silver and look to go about 10 pounds or so. I'll give them a try, I need to find out what they are.
Keep in touch and I'll send our blog once we get it going.
Here is the boat builder web page. click on gallery at top to see the boat, www.voiliers-boreal.com Youtube has some vids also by typing in Boreal 44. There is one of the boats being built that is OK.

Later

Steve and Tracy

#49 ·
I was down last week. My area had a lot of nice fish once things settled down after the cold front passed through. Cataracs and some age related macular degeneration seem to be affecting my seeing fish or it could be I'm just not calibrated yet. Structure west of the creek is flat, any troughs ar subued and a lot of gravel bars are covered with sand:(.

#50 ·
Hi Guys,

Sorry for my non ability to post pictures of the boat now that we are in France.

Everything is going well and we will start sea trials later this week. I will give you this code to view on youtube RC Louise when she was launched the other day. We are in Brittany, France in a town called Treguier. In the vid you will see she really is the perfect flats boat for fishing anyway until the mast went on. Now she is the perfect flats boat to anchor in the Bahamas as she only draws 1 meter when the centerboard is up. Go to youtube and type in 00001Lancement RC LOUISE you should come up with the video. Maybe someone else knows how to post the right thing to get it up automatically.

By the way they got some great sport fishing over here, some type of Bass that cruises the rocks, tidal rivers and beaches. I'm sure they can be caught on a fly.

Cheers
Steve and Tracy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.