Fly Fishing Forum banner

First saltwater rod?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  hmaadd 
#1 ·
Hi all -

I'm brand new here and have a fairly basic question. I ama very strong freshwater caster who can handle an 8wt Scott ARC for steelhead. But I have zero experience in the salt. I go to Hilton Head every year and there are nice tidal flats there with some reds, cobia, jack, etc., that can be targeted either from a boat or wading.

I was thinking of a fast-action, tip-flexing 8 wt., but don't exactly want to buy the top of the line stuff at first until I can see how good the fishing is and how much I'll use it there (and eventually for small bones, snook). I also will use this in the Midwest as a freshwater rod for largemouth.

The TFO TiCr X looks like a good starter rod, but my local fly shop owner, a good friend who fishes in the salt a bunch, says the TFO rods are too mushy. His choice would be the Sage VT2, or maybe the Scott E2. I see a lot of positive comment here on TFO rods, so I wondered what people thought of that model. I tried the Sage and really liked it, but I'm also wondering that if I do that maybe I should step up to the Xi2.

Anyway, thanks so much for the opinions. This is a great forum, thanks for having me!

Pescadork

See less See more
#2 ·
Stick with your 8-wt ARC. If you are a strong caster, that rod should be fine, even in the wind. For the fishing you describe, it may be too much only for largemouth bass. It should be enough for all the other fish mentioned that you would find on the flats (off-shore cobia and jacks might be a bit much for it though).

My only other advice would be to make sure you match it to a line appropriate for saltwater, which bouys up the line more than freshwater would. A freshwater line, theoretically at least, would ride too high in the saltwater to enable you to load the rod efficiently.

mcgroup53 said:
Hi all -

I'm brand new here and have a fairly basic question. I ama very strong freshwater caster who can handle an 8wt Scott ARC for steelhead. But I have zero experience in the salt. I go to Hilton Head every year and there are nice tidal flats there with some reds, cobia, jack, etc., that can be targeted either from a boat or wading.

I was thinking of a fast-action, tip-flexing 8 wt., but don't exactly want to buy the top of the line stuff at first until I can see how good the fishing is and how much I'll use it there (and eventually for small bones, snook). I also will use this in the Midwest as a freshwater rod for largemouth.

The TFO TiCr X looks like a good starter rod, but my local fly shop owner, a good friend who fishes in the salt a bunch, says the TFO rods are too mushy. His choice would be the Sage VT2, or maybe the Scott E2. I see a lot of positive comment here on TFO rods, so I wondered what people thought of that model. I tried the Sage and really liked it, but I'm also wondering that if I do that maybe I should step up to the Xi2.

Anyway, thanks so much for the opinions. This is a great forum, thanks for having me!

Pescadork

#3 ·
Smolt -

Thanks, but that won't work. The ARC is 9-6, medium-slow action with a very soft tip designed to let you feel the often subtle take of a steelhead. In really heavy wind, it doesn't have the punch to throw a long line. I've tried it with big deerhair poppers, and it just fights the rod, even with a bass taper line.

Appreciate the advice, though!

#4 ·
In the $300 range, a Powell Timax or Tiburon II, the latter being my choice and now available, I think, at Sierra Trading Post for $299. Take a look at the Alrbight EXS and Redington CPS as well. I am sure there are others, but these are the only brands I have cast in that price range. They are surprisingly good rods for the price.

#5 ·
mcgroup53 said:
I cannot Comment on TFO or Scott rods as I have never cast any. The Sage Xi-2 I can comment on, I have two, 9 and 10 wt. They are fast action rods that are not Mushy

Like most Fast action rods they have some muscle to throw heavy lines & large flies into the wind better than a mid flex rod. And here in the Northeast US I have experienced few days when there was not some kind of breeze blowing on the salt water, Almost always right in your face:mad:

If you have the $$$ I would go with the Xi-2

#6 ·
ditto on the xi2. i have three a 6, 8, and 9 wt. as warren said, they are anything but mushy. i use the 8 weight for snook in florida and bones in grand bahama where the fish tend to be pretty big. however in long island i use the 6wt. as the fish are smaller. when selecting a rod you should consider that you will likely be altering your casting style a bit in order to accomodate the wind and distance requirements of the salt. lefty kreh has a video on salt water casting. i had the great pleasure of taking a casting lesson from him a few months ago. his method is not only dead simple but he is without a doubt the best teacher of casting that i have ever seen. in 30 minutes i had it as did the other 9 people in the class. all of that said, you may also want to look at scott and certainly t&t. good luck

#8 ·
Well I've cast the TFO TICR X and it is by no means mushy. I don''t like TFO rods personally but it is not mushy. They do cast well. I would alos look at the Sage RPLXI if you can find one. They should be in the 3 hundred range. Or If you want stiff then you should try a T&T HII. IMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.