Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hello from Iowa

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Hello everone - I am a flyfisher from Iowa. FROM IOWA you say?
Sure there are lots of oppertunities for flyfish in Iowa. Of course we are land locked and can not access the wonderful ocean but we can sure enjoy the wonderful adreanalin rush of a fish exploding through the surface of the water and dancing on it's tail. I fish for small and large mouth bass, bluegills, carp (though I still have to convince one to take my offering), and trout. I started my addiction of the fly 2 years ago and continue to feed it, I also spend a good amount of time in my newly redesigned closet (looks like the interior of a log cabin) tying flies. Anywho - I look forward to talking with everyone and learning a lot along the way.

#2 ·
welcome aboard ,this forum is HOT as far as tech.aspects go,there's plenty of chatrooms ,but the knowledge you seek is here,,,i'm guessing you've a child or two,so the closet's the war room,,sounds nice ,i'm planning on building one on the side of the garage,anyway, get to it lad!!!!:D

#4 ·
Tim, I think you may be our first member from your

great State!

Only had the opportunity to fly fish for Bass in a couple of locations (several years ago) in Northern Calif. A town house project Joan and I lived in had about a 3 acre pond, fountain, etc., in the middle there off (and right off our back deck).

Pond was stocked with bass and about as close as you could get to the back door. Best 'fishing' was after dark with a Colman lantern at my feet for a bit of light and a 6 wt fly rod with surface poppers. Couldn't see didly on the water ... but the bass sure could here the 'bug' being stripped across the water.

Nothing large (maybe 2-3 pounds at best) but still a blast in the pitch black.
fae

#5 ·
Fredaevans - a 2 or 3 lbs. bass is a good fight on a 6 wt.! Must have been fun. Iowa is a great state however it is not really known for it's flyfishing. We do have some trout fishing in North East Iowa as well as good smallmouth fishing. The rest of the state is primarely bass - and good sized ones. The legendary farm pond bass holds true - nothing better then fishing a 40 year old pond with a 7 wt. and matching up with bass in the 5-8 lbs area!

#6 ·
Tim, first it's just 'Fred."

The 'fredaevans' is all of my e mail address', etc.

Fishing for bass with a rod loaded with 20# line had 'less' than "zero appeal." Total honesty is one of my failings.

One a light fly rod ... the fish you discribe would be a TOTAL GAS!
:whoa: :D

FAE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.