Fly Fishing Forum banner

help with book

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SALMONCHASER 
#1 ·
Are the books "Leaper" (Monty Burke,, C. Gaines) and in association with ASF one and the same as "In search of Silver"????? Except for different covers they look exactly the same.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but i have been known to ask them before:rolleyes:
Thanks lads.
Dwayne
aka Salmon Chaser

#3 ·
YES, but ...

As far as content is concerned, they are identical. However, for the maniac salmon book collector, there are some VERY subtle differences.

Both books list the publication date as 2001 and the copyright holder to be 'Duncan Baird Publishers.'

However, ‘Leaper’ shows The Lyons Press as the publisher - on the spine and on the front title page. The ISBN number for this book is 1-58574-385-2, and the book states that" "The Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data is available on file"

'In Search of Silver' is shown to have been published by Duncan Baird Publishers. The ISBN number for this book is different (1-903296-33-1), and the book states that: "British Library Cataloging-in-Publication Data ..."

As noted, there are differences on the dust jacket (title, publisher, writeups on the front & rear fold-ins, front and rear photos) and the hard cover (title, publisher).

So, 'Leaper' was published for the North American market and "In Search of Silver" was produced for the British/European market. Interestingly, neither book indicates that the content was published under another name. This information is often shown in books that are simultaneously published (under the same or different titles) in different jurisdictions.

I have them both. I purchased the second one without knowing that the content was identical to the first (I'm not THAT fanatical a collector!). I think you'd have to be a bit anal to want copies of both for collection purposes, but there probably are a few bookaholics out there who would want both.

OK - this is probably more info than you needed or wanted, but there you go. There's lots of time for Atlantic salmon trivia on a winter’s day. :hihi:

Jim Corrigan

#5 ·
Many thanks!!

Thanks a bunch lads.
I own Leaper and saw the other book on ebay and noticed the resemblance. I doubt i'll be buying "in search of silver" any time soon:roll:
Bugman,, thank for the cool response,,, i honestly only expected a yes or no answer for this thread,,,very informative response.
Dwayne
aka Salmon Chaser

#6 ·
Hi Eric,

There are 2 ways the salmon can see your fly.

The first is from the broadside and the other from the tail end.

When the Salmon sees your fly from the broadside you are showing him the fly. From the tail end you are hiding it (or presenting the smallest silhouette).

The key is to present the fly in such a manner as to provoke a take.

GSM

#7 · (Edited)
Hi Dwayne, Jim Corrigan here. Thanks for the kind words!

While we're on the topic of books, I saw your fly tying and fishing interests discussed in a very nice book that I just purchased/read.

The book is: "A Little Thing I Tied Myself," written by Don MacLean. The book is subtitled: "Stories of Atlantic Canadian Fly Tiers."

The author does one-page (more-or-less) profiles of each tier. In this format, he covers a PILE of interesting people! Basing each chapter on one of the eastern provinces, the coverage includes historic and current tiers. Some are widely renowned, some are 'local legends.' All are interesting!

Each tier is discussed in a roughly similar format. Family history, rivers and fish species fished/tied for, a brief history of each tier's development (teachers, styles of flies). Each tier comments on what they consider to be a 'good fly' and all discuss one of their favorite flies to tie and fish. A pattern of this favoured fly is given with the profile for each tier. There are eight colour plates illustrating most (all?) of these 'favoured flies.' Obviously, there is a strong emphasis on salmon flies through this book, but trout flies and trout fishing take their place - if they have been part of a tiers 'repertoire.'

For anybody that has a collection of salmon fly books by Stewart & Allen, Marriner, Bates, Fulsher & Krom and Rich, you won't see many flies that you've never seen before. What you will see is a somewhat larger profile of the fly and the tier than most of these other books can give. There is a great sense of history and locality in the book. It is unpretentious (like the tiers themselves) and not expensive. If I had any (mild) complaints, it would be the lack of a chapter on the Quebec tiers and Quebec flies and the small size of the photos (tough for this senior citizen to see under low light). These are niggling comments on what is a fine book.

HMMM ... I guess that was a book review. I should add that it is published by Nimbus out of Halifax in 2006. And ... in case anybody is wondering, I don't have any relationship with the author - I'm just a reader. I recently finished it and I thought it was cool to be chatting with a tier who is profiled in the book (Dwayne Miller aka SALMONCHASER).

Again, thanks for the kind words. Best of luck with the tying and fishing business! I looked at your site, and some of your PEI rivers look very interesting.

Jim

#8 ·
Hi Jim.
It IS a cool book isn't it? I was extremely happy when Don called and asked to include me in his project. Alot of my buddys and close aquaintances are included and i am sure there will be a few autograph sessions between the tiers at the upcoming Dieppe Fly Show in March. Cant wait!!!!
I can return the favor and thank you as well for your kind words,,, and yes,, my Island rivers are treasures for those in the know:smokin: If you are ever my way,, well,, you know the rest;)
Now David, Is this technique to kind of dead drift the fly on a somewhat tight line(not on a swing) and then retieve so that the fish only sees the a$$ of the fly? Or is it a plop and retrieve(same view for the fish) immediately? Intersted in hearing just how you practice this "style"?? as i have had luck with both of the above mentioned methods.
Salmon Chaser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.