Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing report 6/18

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
3 and1/2 hours sleep, up at 0330 and a quiet drive to the river. An early morning festival of classical bird music a bit loud but beautiful. River in good shape and warmer to the hand than I would have thought, lost my thermometer two months ago last time I fished. Wish I had brought a floating line but did not.

Half way through first run LINED what must of been a springer. Fish was heavy and moved slowly across river not careing I was there. Both of us were bored and parted ways. I went down river to fish next run and aimlessly cast a sinking line into water already fished. Again I was bored felt like no fish there except for a few SRC's coming up for a few PMD's and small cadis. Got out of the river and took a 15 minute nap on the river rocks until Sinktip came down from the run above and gave me a kick in the side.

A good walk out through swamps and woods talking about bad guides, good guides and fishing up river until the native summer runs start to show in a month or so. All the while the birds sang on. A stop at the local coffee stand, the two cute young things who work the stand still remember I drink a 16 oz Americano with 1/2 & 1/2. How do they remember that? And oh yes, still the first one into the office at 0703. It's been a good morning already and worth the gas it took to do do it.

Who cares that there are few fish.

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe if you didn't fish long leaders and heavy flies, you wouldn't have lined that King.:chuckle: And I am sure you lined him cause I know what fly you were fishing. I thought it was single barbless in that river? :devil:

#4 ·
Hey guys, ain't it great to get up at o'dark thirty and hit a run before heading into town to work?

I put my tips away June 1 and am now totally committed to the dryline. Actually, I'm afraid to take it off for fear of missing the first fish that might want to come to my fly. So I'm getting a lot of casting practice.

Hey Juro, I hope you're catching a lot of stripers, cause we be steelin'!

Leland.

#5 ·
Sounds like we are all getting out.

Hit the snoqualmie today for a few hours before work. Nothing to show for it but it sure is a nice way to spend the morning. Fished a dryline but in retrospect if I really wanted to catch a fish I should have put on a light tip. However , I am so burned out on tips from the winter I just could not stand the thought of chucking anything but the dry line.

-sean

#6 ·
Yes Leland it surely is great. I have been fishing every other morning before work and except for a desire for more fish in the river, it really doesn't get any better.

I hear you Sean although I have to say when I first looped on the floater on Sunday, I felt like I had forgotten how to cast. The old spiral roll stroke needs to be tweaked slightly when fishing a floater and 15' leader or else it gets really ugly really quick. :(

I did go back to my tips though as I'm one of those few foolish souls that enjoy casting and fishing them. Plus I am still using the big rods as I am not quite ready to break the 7 weight out yet. I know it is kinda sad. So bad that I am hoping to fish my new Salar a day or two if it comes in before the river levels hit full summer lows.

And don't worry about OC and his ribs. I heard him muttering as he lurched along clutching his side something about "just wait until I get my jet sled". I couldn't hear it all but he kept saying how "once I get my sled, I can line kings all I want and follow them upriver". I am concerned it might be a head injury. We had better watch him closely.

#7 ·
Leyland & Sean,

Glad to hear you have been getting out early. It's just a wonderful time to be on the river, 0400 and getting light out. Did you watch the front move in this morning? High thin clouds at day break that moved to a warm but grey sky by 0600.

Glad we are putting the tips away till November. I would have this morning but didn't have time to find my summer flies and my winter rods were still rigged from April. It is time for the cane!

You know I'm glad Sinktip will fish his summer two hander this year. It will allow me to fish each run 1st as no true fly fisherman would ever think of going first with a two hander when his good fishing buddy is fishing with an old 1948 Holbrook cane rod. I believe Moonlight knows about this type of ethics as do the genlemen at the Washington Steelhead flyfishing club.

As for the jet boat? No My friend Kush has one and maybe some day he will take me fishing in it. Besides I just spent 6 years rebuilding a 1962 philip Rhodes 32 foot sloop originally built in Denmark and she made it to her new home port down on the Hood Canal last week. Other than a small new zodiak this boy has enough boat for now and dead broke to boot.

Watch out sinktip can kick hard.

#9 ·
Kush,

It would look good being towed behind my Rhodes. Bring it down some weekend and also bring your lovely wife and go sailing with Sue and me. Gin & tonics, crab, oysters and flounder for dinner. We can use the jet boat for after dinner fly fishing for the best SRC fishing south of the border.

Hear you are fishing lots now that school is out.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the offer,

Usually I'm against sailing as a waste of time on the water (no fishing you know) but if we will get some FFishing in I could live with it!

Actually school is not over here until the 27th, then the morning of the 28th the fishing marathon begins... Langara Island to guide, Sheridan Lake to flyfish, back to Langara for 10 days, to the Dean for 10 days then back to Langara, then back to school!

I know, life's tough, but what the heck 1/2 of the time that is working :hehe: . Well, they pay me to fish - so it is working :smokin:

#11 ·
O C's Ribs

Hey Sinktip, I'll bet O C wasn't complainin about his ribs when he was a the coffee stand being waited on by those 2 cuties.

#12 ·
You guys need to work some more. I have slaved away all day beating my head into the wall and here you are talking fishing all day and making fun of poor old OC. You have to watch out for SinkTip as I hear he is turning violent on the river now. :eek:

No telling what he will do next. Drifting roe could be next.

JJ

#16 ·
I've been getting out every other evening and have been using my 13 ft summer rod since June 1; albeit, with sink tips. After fishing yesterday evening with a type 3 sink tip, I've decided to switch to the floating tip for tomorrow evening's fishing.

Haven't found any steel yet; but I've had very enjoyable days astream. There is nothing quite like the symphony of the birds and river gurgles. It has also been very nice to run into and converse with several of the fly fishing steelheaders I know at the end of the evening.

Don't know which is better though: getting up at o'dark-thirty for a few hours before work; or fishing until nearly dark and getting home at 11:00 p.m. and a late dinner while still having to get up at 6:00 a.m. to get ready for work.

#17 ·
Jeff said:
Kush,

Sand Shrimp get it straight. No Gut out there. :hehe:

JJ
Doublespey said:
the first time I watched that bright little bobber go down
:devil:

Ahhhhhhhh yes...I see my influence is going somewhere with these two!! :devil: ...first comes Jeff and Doublespey!!...Next comes all of Flytalk! :devil: :devil: :smokin:

#18 ·
Just for clarification.....

Roe -- never

Bobber -- Not for a very long time]

Violent -- Convicted? No never convicted.

Finally, I wanted all to know that I was not wearing spikes, Korkers or cleats when I kicked OC. Plus I think that baggie of mushrooms he always carries absorbed most of the blow. :hehe:

#20 ·
OC,

Those magic mushrooms will let you fish a great run full of steelhead with a skating dry in the parking lot of Wal-Mart.

Ryan,

Perhaps it was the influence of OC's mushrooms that causes some to use sand shrimp or roe. Afterall, you were fishing with that new shrimp fly weren't you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.