Fly Fishing Forum banner

Russia 2008

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  txraddoc 
#1 ·
The first 2 weeks of June on the Kola Pen were COLD! I was in Russia for 15 days, we had a half a day of sun on the first day, then 14 days of rain/sleet/hail/snow/wind. It was brutal, and many rivers cancelled fishing for the first week, some the second week of June ( usually prime). Air temp 0-8 C (32-48 F), water temp 3-5 C (36-41F).

First week 16 fishermen landed 23 fish...

I did manage the second week to land 5 fish, all between 20-25 pounds, a couple of which really fought hard. I made contact with a large fish in the 35 pound class but somehow lost it. A 42 pounder was landed and killed by a Russian the week I was there.

The tail shot is a fish I landed before breakfast by my self, and had to tail, then get a pic, then get the hook out and release. This was the thrill of the trip for me.

The next shot is a typical fish in the 20-25 pound class I landed for the week. The snow shot is 5 minutes after landing the fish, the northerly upriver snow returns...

Warmest thoughts and regards,

Jim Y

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
20 to 25-pound fish in Russia appear to be much, much larger than 20 to 25-pound fish on the Miramichi!!! Those fish look very hefty to me. I know fishermen are never accused of understating the size of the fish they catch. How did you determine their weight?

#9 ·
"SNIT" this is a term we use on the Chatahoochee river in Atlanta to stand for:

"Standard Nine Inch Trout" and it is a stocked fingerling hatchery fish that you catch right after they dump them in the river. You will catch these "typical " fish and get some bigger "holdovers". What I'm getting at is the frame of reference for judging the fish relative to the local enviroment.

On the Kola River in early June, your fish size will average 21 pounds. It's been pretty consistant the years I've been there on that river. The Panoi will have much smaller but more plentiful fish. They may catch 800 fish for a week, one will be 20 pounds.

We weighed every fish with a scale holding up the net, taking a kilogram off for the net. So if I say a fish was 24 pounds, it was 12Kg in the net, minus one Kg for net or 11 Kg/24 pounds. I think the net is a lot less than a Kg/2.2 pounds, but that is how they report it.

Those early fish are quite spectacular and addictive....

Tight Lines,

Jim Y

#11 ·
Yes, I will "SNIT" fish the summer away, and fish for Salmon in the Fall on the Miramichi. I have been to Gaspe multiple times and will go again, but not in 2008. It's a pretty big production for me to get to a salmon river, so I group it in a couple of trips. Otherwise, it's "SNIT's,SNIT's,SNIT's...

Tight Lines,

Jim Y

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.