Fly Fishing Forum banner

fishing yak

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Wee Hooker 
#1 ·
Hey I'm looking for a fishing yak. I've been looking at freedom yaks for some inshore shallow water fishing, stream fishing and small pond. No rapids. Has anyone had any experience with these freedom kayaks or native yaks. Thanks

#2 ·
Sit in or sit on top?

I'm not familiar with the Freedom nor Native yaks... :confused:
There's a Hobie Revolution and a Pungo hanging in cold storage waiting for the Big Thaw... :p
Your location identifier (atlantic ocean) is a little vague...
My Area Of Operation is primarily Cape Cod and I use my tupperwear boats to take me to isolated spots to wade/sight fish...I'll drown a fly enroute just because I can (trolling is fairly brainless but the phracas can be rewarding)...
I'd personally recommend any boat that YOU feel comfortable in...
A major manufacturer is sometimes an advantage...Price point and service...
Many dealers do Spring Paddle Demo Days...a try before you buy scheme that works...
DON'T buy before you try!!!
And...DON'T buy a cheap (heavy) paddle!!! :tsk_tsk:

Sit Inside vs Sit On Top...I like 'em both...Troublesome shoulder issues have led me to the Hobie Revolution and their pedal drive system that absolutely ROCKS!
The ability to stealthfully explore a shallow area that's out of bounds to power boats and waders...and jump unspooked fish with a fly that works makes my day.
Welcome to the plastic navy!

#3 ·
I took a quick look at the Natives yesterday at the New England Boat Show. Nice little boat. The hull design appears as though it would be pretty stable.

Like the Penguin, I too have a Hobie Revolution in storage. Not cheap, but the ability to have my hands free ultimately made it worth the expense for me.

#10 ·
For what it's worth...

I was mucking about on ebay and noticed some interesting "KAYAK" deals...
...a Freedom and several Hobie models priced below retail...

#11 ·
hmaadd said:
amen brother not on my to do list:chuckle: I think I'm going with the sot wilderness systems the ride. A hobie is a little out of my price range. Plus bad knees wouldn't work on the peddals.
Those are great boats... I've seen a couple used ones in very good condition at a two paddle shops. Worth taking a look at. Plus, if you come in under budget you buy a shark outfit and a chum box to hang over the side.

#13 ·
Blue yaks catch more fish :smile:

Yellow yaks attract Great White's :lildevl:

Getting serious for 1 second, bright / highly visible gear is a good idea out on the open water with so many yahoos blasting around in the summer.

#14 ·
Try before you buy is the way to go when buying a yak. I have a sit in and someday I will get a sit on top. Ah so little money so much gear to buy.
As for color , you want to be seen on the water . Don't worry too much about the fish being spooked by bright colors you want the yahoos to see you as they buzz around. FishHawk:smokin:

#15 ·
My Revolution is made of....

FLOUROCARBON! :razz:

I prefer stealth...always have always will...
Camo and Air Superiority Blue airplanes have warped me forever...
In the Yak, besides being in-your-face all day...when taking photos, light bouncing off the hull can/will pollute the shot...
I minimize my BOZO vulnerability and spend most of my fishing time where the morons can't go anyway...
Something I would suggest...HI VIZ one or both paddle blades...when needed, use it as a flag to get attention...:Eyecrazy:

#16 ·
Hi viz on the paddle is a great idea. I have reflective tape on the paddle and pfd since I paddle at night quite a bit.

I've noticed on open water when paddling, or even out in a boat, often times everything close to the waterline looks 'black' until you get up close.....

#17 ·
I have a Coast Guard Orange Yak...its a courtesy to the good boaters.

I've been run over twice both time by guys who saw me, one was even yelling asking what I was using for bait when he hit me. For the record I was run over once while wading...

There is simply no defense against morons. It took me a while to learn but you are much safer fishing in the middle of the night, or during a rainstorm than you are on a bright sunny day.

#19 ·
A deck mounted bright orange safety flag is a very good idea.

Mounted on a 4ft 'antena' at the back of the yak, you will be highly visible to others on the water without compromising stealth.

A lot of guys had them at the JBay kayak fishing tourney last year and you could see them miles away. The penant style flags are actually quite small when you get up close.

I have ordered one for 2007 :smokin:

#20 ·
neastfly said:
I have heard stories of yakers shooting their flare guns at boats, both before and after close calls.
Sounds like those "Morons" never took a boating course. If no one was in peril you shouldn't be sending off flares and possibly mobalizing resources that could be needed elseware. A VHF call to the local CG on the appropriate channel seems more appropriate.

My Kayaking has been limited to bays and estuaries but I think the morons come in all shapes and sizes and I as a boater appreciate those who take the time to be more visable and don't put themselves in a place they shouldn't be. Last year there was an ablie blitz right in front of WH light with the rip running strong. Seeing a Kayak who comes and goes with the swell is not something most boaters were looking for. But there were a few that decided that was a great place to hang out even after a few close calls.

Sean

#21 ·
I gues I could consider myself a boater and a yakar. :hihi: It is hard to see the small craft going 30 in and out of the grass down here. But I still went with the camo. In case I take up the art of duck hunting again.

I plan on using this thing down in the gulf off pine island during tarpon season. Its too far to tow my flats boat. I can strap the yak to the top of the jeep and cruise on down the highway. The versatility is what I like the most. I've mainly just used them for fun in rivers creeks and ponds.

I can't wait to try it out this summer on natures coast. :smokin:

#22 ·
I almost got run over in Barnstable Harbor by some young bucks who were water skiing. Should have turned them in on my marine radio. They were showing off for their girlfriends. They also buzzed a small sailboat. Next time I'm going to call the Penguin and get him up in his AC130 and have him put a few well placed rounds next to these yahoos. FishHawk:smokin:

#24 ·
What kind of radio do yall use. I bought a cb with noaa on it for my skiff, but I'm thinking about buying a hand held to use for both. I really don't want to install a cb on my console w/antenna and all but need the safety feature. Does a handheld do just as good a job.

#25 ·
Pungo 14 is probably the best all around boat for your money to start off with. It's inexpensive and you can use it on any freshwater and also on the ocean. If you decide to upgrade one day, they hold their value extremely well so you'll be able to get back 50% easily, and if it's in good condition 65% shouldn't be too hard.

Disclaimer: I've never used one, but I'm getting one this year and it by far has been the #1 kayak recommended by every shop and angler I've talked to! :)

#26 ·
I have heard stories of yakers shooting their flare guns at boats, both before and after close calls
in any case, that's got to feel good! :devil:

FWIW, I'll second the Pungo. My first yak was a (blue) Pungo Classic that is still my favorite 5 yaks latter. ( Several others have come and gone since) She has kept me safe, dry and on fish for nearly 10 years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.