Fly Fishing Forum banner

Alternative material for Virtual Nymph products

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Can anyone point me towards some easier-to-find alternatives for Nymph Skin, Flexi-Skin, and self-adhesive lead? I'm interested in picking up these materials, however can only find them on-line at one shop (in CA). I'd say that VN's US distribution is lacking; saw their list of retailers and only one of them in the states listed the products on-line. With that being the case, if I could get my hands on some viable alternative materials I'd be quite happy! :D

#3 ·
Chris,

From what I can tell VN's Flex-Skin is the same as Thin-Skin which most fly shops carry. Basically a very thin Sili-Skin that is not adhesive and comes in a variety of mottled and plain colors. The Nymph-Skin looks like pre-cut Flex Skin. Most people use this stuff for nymph wing-cases or scud backs...not sure what your intentions are here.

I bought some of the stuff when it came out but am unimpressed by the way it looks for a wingcase - too shiny and synthetic. I prefer the good ol' Turkey Tail sprayed with fixative for wingcases...or a bit of marabou.

I haven't seen the adhesive backed lead. What would you use it for?

Good luck.

#4 ·
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on using the Nymph Skin as abdomen, wrapped around the shank. The material is apparently made of latex and picks up color from markers quite well. I think that either the Flexi-Skin or the Nymph Skin can be used for this purpose, just have to find an alternative material that's offered in clear and olive.
The adjesive tape is used as an alternative to winding lead around the shank, which enables a slimmer body profile if desired.
I can order the actual stuff, but just wondered if there was something just as good or better that's easily found.

#7 ·
Gotcha.

Don't know if they still make it but Larva Lace used to make latex for doing the segmented bodies you're after. They look great for big stoneflies or czech style caddis patterns..and take a sharpie well.

You definitely want latex and not thin-skin for this. The thin-skin is translucent and not nearly as durable as the latex...and won't hold the ink as well. The stuff you want is considerably thicker than a glove and opaque.

Remember you can smash wound lead to shape with a pair of flat-jawed pliers if you're trying to create a thin or buggy shape to your patterns.

Good luck.

#8 ·
BigDave said:
Remember you can smash wound lead to shape with a pair of flat-jawed pliers if you're trying to create a thin or buggy shape to your patterns.

Good luck.
Great minds think alike; I was just sitting here doing just that: smashing lead with my pliers. I got the desired result by folding it over on itself a few times and then compressing it.

I'll look into the Larva Lace material; I know that their stuff's relatively cheap. Thanks!

#9 ·
flyfisha1 said:
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on using the Nymph Skin as abdomen, wrapped around the shank. The material is apparently made of latex and picks up color from markers quite well. I think that either the Flexi-Skin or the Nymph Skin can be used for this purpose, just have to find an alternative material that's offered in clear and olive.
The adjesive tape is used as an alternative to winding lead around the shank, which enables a slimmer body profile if desired.
I can order the actual stuff, but just wondered if there was something just as good or better that's easily found.
Hi Chris,

Just read your post. There is a clear ribbing (plastic) that is used in bonefish fly patterns. It comes in various colors typically light pink or green but it also comes in clear. As I remember there are three thicknesses available. The thin one would most certainly work on freshwater flies. Sorry I don't have the brand name in front of me but I can get you that information.

In my limited experience tying bonefish flies I really liked the way an underlying material colors came through on the clear body rib. Far superior than coloring with a marker. You can shoot me a PM and I'll look up the information for you. Also give John (Striblue) a ping as he's probably tied every bonefish pattern on the planet and then some more. He'll know what it is too.

Good luck & tight lines.

#10 ·
Chris,

Since you are wanting to wrap it for a segmented body, why not use Larva Lace or Swanandaze in the color you want the body to be? Instant segmentation, semi-translucent, and very durable along with ease of application.

Go to any golf shop to buy the adhesive-backed lead tape. It comes is various sized rolls and it is pretty inexpensive.

You should be able to get the Larva Lace or Swanandaze at Urban Angler (I finally remembered the name) right there in New York City.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.