Fly Fishing Forum banner

Recent Steelhead

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Tony Petrella 
#1 ·
Just wanted to post a couple of pictures from our steelhead trip this past weekend. We went to Elk Creek which is a trib of Lake Erie in Pennsylvania. Must say it was very, very cold, but it was also a good time. The creek was low and clear and there was not a fresh run of fish up the creek in a while, so fishing was tough. Seen quite a few people on the creek with was surprising.

Here's a pic of Will Jr. and his 25" steelie

Attachments

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Hal, I SAW THAT!!

How soon you forget that we Canadian's LOVE THE WEATHER we "send south" to you Yanks. :D

Oregonian's are much more temperate in our desire to freeze the butts off the Californians who come 'north.'

Snigger, snigger.

:p

Rethought that: Rick J and a few others can come "north" and we'll keep the temps reasonable. But on that note, and before you guys get complacent, Mt. Ashland (5 air miles south of me) already has about 12 foot of snow on top.

fae

#8 ·
Fred,

Only 12 feet, Mt. Baker (about 30 air miles from me) has just picked up 4 feet in the last 2 days. Of course it is also only 12 air miles from B.C., Canada as well.

When I lived in Montana I used to fish for whitefish and trout during the winter if the air temperature was above 20 degrees. Below that it was too much trouble keeping the ice out of the guides. Of course, I always thought the folks who went out ice fishing when it was 30 below zero were a little tetched.

I really enjoy our rainy Nothwest Washington winters where it rains in the valley and snows usually stay above 4,000 ft on the nearby mountains. Although I must say that when it was snowing and between 28 and 30 degrees it was actually more comfortable fishing than when it is raining and 38 or 40 degrees out.

#9 ·
flytyer said:
Although I must say that when it was snowing and between 28 and 30 degrees it was actually more comfortable fishing than when it is raining and 38 or 40 degrees out.
I totally agree with you...I would take below freezing a nice dry snow anyday over a little above freezing and wet, miserable rain/snow mix...those cold rain/snow mix sort of days seem to soak you and chill you to the bone no matter what you wearing!

#12 ·
Nice steelheads

Elk Creek, you say....
Hmmm, that's not to far from Andover, Ohio...

I fish Conneaute Creek (Ohio side) for steelies....
:D
I never made it to the PA side except for Cherry Creek near West Springfield...

Maybe I'll see you there someday...

P.S. Nice fish....

G
#14 ·
You guys would love our weather.

Our best steelheading happens in that type of weather.

Really love it when you are on the river and snow is falling all around you. Almost like a Bud commercial.

Hal,

Tried sucker spawn many times in Mi. with little success, caddis, comets, nymphs, rockworms, speys(mini) seem to work best.

I have a feeling Fred could hang tough, being a canuk and all. Of course BC winters don't get as cold as ours. Nothing like a 20mph wind off the lake blowing in your face ot wake you up.

Thats why Wagners in Chesterton is such a popular after creek gathering place.

#15 ·
Yeah Fred is probably hard core and could hack it, even if he couldn't he would do it rather than admit it was too much for him.

Will tie up a few anyway, what the heck got to have a little of everything at the ready. Don't think I have seen many people using the sucker spawn in michigan or indy though.

Nuke eggs have always been good for me. Other than that NYMPHS are the go to flys. I am working on my mini speys.

Pm Out

#17 ·
Elk Creek

Willmullis, you found room to cast a fly rod at Elk Creek?

I hear it is elbow to elbow with fishermen and women during the steelhead and salmon runs...:eyecrazy:

If you know of a "less crowded" spot, p.m. me or post it's location.

By brother went there last fall and said he seen (his viewpoint, not mine) over 500 people fishing a small hole. Lots of lines getting tangled and people fighting for space...

Soooooo, if there is an open area for fly fishing, let everyone know...
thank you.

#19 ·
cohocola,

Yea I've never been up there in the fall, but heard it's crazy. That's why we decided to go in the cold of winter. Seen maybe 15 people on the water all day. Everyone was spread out pretty good. Lots of elbow room. This is the time of year to hit the Elk...

#20 ·
Was Frozen, Now I'm Warm

Geeze, guys--haven't you eer heard of fly fishing in Florida in January??!!?? The fish are at least as big as steelies (and believe me, I've caught a ton of them in the PM and Manistee(s) over the years) and the atmospheric conditions in Jan. and Feb. are WAY more pleasant.

Not knockin' steelies, mind you--just the fact that you've gotta dunk your rod to get the ice out of the guides. Congratulations on catching that really nice fish in such really nasty-looking conditions. You get MY vote for Courageous Angler of The Month!

CapT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.