Fly Fishing Forum banner

wutz all the fuss?

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  geardaddy37 
#1 ·
i have a sage 586 LL. i bought 7 or 8 years ago. i was fishing last week, and a guy came over and was pretty excited about the rod. he said it was a very sought after rod (5 wt). is this true or was he being sarcastic?

#2 ·
I fished this rod for a season on small streams. I would have to guess that it earned it's following for being a particularly pleasant tool for trout fishing in eastern waters. I especially liked it's roll casting (and single hand spey) in tight situations and gentle handling of very light tippets and hyperactive trout.

#3 ·
The 389 is considered a classic among many hard core trout chasers, and I personally consider the LL to be one of the best trout rod series ever made. The same attitude seems to exist in regard to some Scott G2's and the Winston TMF. A lot of trout guys like me have discovered that the new breed of super fast high modulus trout rods are much better at throwing a popping bug at bluegills then laying a size 22 trico down softly on a trout stream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.