Fly Fishing Forum banner

RIP TRIP SIGN-UP- Sept. 25

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Paxton 
#1 ·
Please sign up here... those that were signed up for the cancelled July trip will have priority... the back up date is Sunday the 26th... If we can we will use both dates for any over flow on the sign up.... same rules as before.

#11 ·
We have ten now...on this sign up...I know some signed on the other thread...and this is what makes this hard. I will also shoot for a trip on Sunday...so right now...I have Me, Dave17,FredA, Grizz, Fish Hawk, Paxton, Amy, Polareyes, JimSims, Cascobay and Doublehaul.....I don't want to bump anyone at this point and we can start an alternate list. I wonder if I should have just put up the Sign up sheet alone without the first "tip off" thread... anyway... on that thread we also had CSJ60, DitchRat and Striperstriper.(DFix was a maybe).... they did not sign on here...so using this thread as the signup with that other thread...I am placing those three on the alternate list right now in that order...even though they have not signed on here...maybe they are not near a computer right now. I know of no other way to keep this fair.... Also... Any alternates that don't end up going on Saturday...will be on the Sunday Trip...I will clear both trips with keith..... One other thing...although 'First Timers" should get a priority...I really can not bump timely veterans who have signed up...otherwise it becomes a "First Timer Only Trip" and I don't think that works. Any other ideas???? (for the next trip that is after this one... I just don't want this to get all screwed up with different formats)

#13 ·
This is Jim Simms's oldest son. My father in his infinite wisdom signed up and forgot that I his oldest son was going to be there. So he neglected to sign me up. So John, I would appreciate it if you would add me to list if there is going to be room. Thank you.

#17 ·
Paul... I took the the first 10 on the Sign up thread...not the thread looking for dates..... I know you were signed up for July...But I took the first 10 from the sign up sheet. I do this because it is not certain that everyone who signed up in July can make September and I know of know way of doing it.... so I then looked at the Date check thread... and people sign up there even though they are suppose to only sign up on the "Sign Up" thread. I want to have first timers...But I also said I can not nix veterans who sign up first. What I want to do , and just called Keith, is have two trips.... so If we can do that we are talking about 20 guys... and as the weeks go by maybe we can move guys around between Saturday and Sunday. I know that FredA and JimSims would give up a slot and I will only go one of the days, not both. Fish Hawk would do so also. But I think those are the only guys who were on the May trip , as you were.... so my problem is that we have alwasy don the first to sign up... but maybe we should do a lottery...by waiting a week or so on the sign up sheet.... So...I just went with the first 10 sign ups. I am open to suggestions as to how to make this more fair... so... I just went with the first 10 on the sign up sheet.... NOT the sheet that suggested the dates.... I then took people who did sign up there as well, who did not get in the top ten and put them on the alternate. Paxton and Amy have missed 3 or 4 trips, Double haul has missed 2 or 3.....I have no clear answer.

#18 ·
Paul is right ... I could take all those who missed the July trip... and fill those who can not with the top of the list....But I also don't want all first timers down there since that is not fair to veterans also.... It seems that the only fair thisg to do is to say that at "10 PM on a certain evening the sign up sheet goes up"...post that a couple days before. Go strickly by the sign up sheet..... OR.... do a lottery... The lottery is fine except it may preclude people from ever getting down there. Using just veterans or first timers only...screws the other. But first timers should have a chance...but so should veterans.... and what about the group that signed on but the trip cancelled?.......ANYbody have a better way to do this?

#20 ·
John I think you may be better off doing it the way you have ,first come first served,I understand this rip trip other than the May trip which went off has been cancelled several years,so there are others in the same situation as I .I think we are all better served by not giving priority to any particular person or group and just go with the first 10 to sign on.As the saying states you snooze you loose,but if you can pull off the the trip with 20 guys that would have the makings of one hell of a great trip.

#21 ·
Thanks Paul... if we can get two good days.... and they don't have to be blue bird days..just days the wind is down... we can pull it off. We did have two trips back to back a couple years ago. So... I have to figure it this way... Here is the plan.... I am "thinking" that I do not have ANY alternate list...just the SUNDAY list. That way it would be fair... if we can get 20 sign ups... then we have our Saturday AND Sunday group. The only thing is that if Saturday cancels... then Saturday group is OUT... and the Sunday group is in. If we don't get 20... we still shoot for Sunday with some Saturday volunteers... which can work... Now, I am also think that Jim Sims might opt for Sunday to be with his son who signed up late... and Double Haul might want to get his buddy Bert... .... so I am thinking that as the weeks go by we can maybe "juggle" the list for both days..... how does that sound for everyone?... that way Paul, and ..say CSJ60, might end up on Saturday anyway.... Paxton and Amy are still on for Saturday (In response to his post). So the key here ..is that we need to DECIDE that we go for two lists WITHOUT the alternate... or do we just go one list with alternates... and if the Saturday cancels..that group goes Sunday... I am leaning to doing 2 lists .... since in reality we will have cancelations and we can get 20 ,plus or minus, down there for a great year ender.

#22 ·
No Win!

John, I empathize with you. Which do you accomodate, the first to signup, first timers or veterans? I think you can do all if two days are scheduled, based on the current demand. Both Saturday and Sunday have good tides for that area.

I will defer to Sunday so I can fish with my son. FWIW, I'm sure there are other veterans that would do the same to have someone who has never experienced the tip be given the priority.

As an aside, the end of September will proabably be awesome wherever you fish on the Cape.

Simms

#23 ·
John

If it is okay with the Sat. alternates I would like to give my spot to Jim's son and I will go to the end of the line. This way Jim can fish with his son if someone drops out. I think it is way more important that Jim and son get to fish a very special place and should share the time together. So if it is okay with the Sat. alt's I will go to the end of the line only if Jim's son can take my place as 1st alternate.

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.