Fly Fishing Forum banner

heaviest 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 hooks

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
what is the heaviest iron hook that can be bought in the sizes above? I've been using Mustad 34011 to tie up heavy leeches without weighting wire, but want more heft and better points in situations where adding additional weight is a no-no. Any style is fine, any eye, but desire long-shank proportions generally in the range of classic salmon/steelhead irons. This ain't for the purdy flies fellas - its for the nasty leeches - so bring out your brutes.

#3 ·
Partridge M Salmon hook. I have 3/0 and 5/0 ala Bill McMillan. I've never had the nerve to tie on the 5/0 for steelies, but luckily it turns out a 5/0 Winter's Hope will catch Jacks and Dorado :chuckle:

Some of the new Tiemco's are nice. If you like the 34011, you may like the new 777. It is pricey though.

Other than that, there are some very heavy Gamakatsu bait hooks. They are short shanked however.

#5 ·
Varivas 974 Salmon Hook is heavy wire, loop-up eye, black. Largest in this number is 1/0, but their 994S Saltwater hook is 4X long, straight eye, heavy wire, from sizes 6 thru 2/0, including size 0. I love these hooks for their well thought out pull balance and gap design. I think, 'cuz I measured either this or a different number they make, the wire size in this hook in the 1/0, 2/0 sizes is approx .055; they feel plenty strong in the vise, IMO.

Also, if you're looking for streamer hooks, they make 972, 2X long, 3X heavy down eye (2,6,8,10,12), and a 973, 3X long/heavy down eye (2,4,6,8,10,12), both bronze finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.