Fly Fishing Forum banner

Greetings All!

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
Hello forum!

I just found this place and it looks great!

I'm up here in Vermont where the fishing is just picking up. I've been out 4 times. I was skunked 3 of those trips but on the last trip there were caddis as well as midge hatching and I caught 5 Rainbows, 3 stocked and 2 wild. They were the first fish i've ever caught on a fly that I tied. It was a great feeling. None of the fish were anything to talk about in length but the 2 wild ones had beautiful colors.

Anybody been fishing in Vermont?
Anybody from Vermont?

Have a good one

Noel Dodge

#2 ·
Welcome Noel.

I for one am fairly new to these pages as well. I got interested through my sons. If you have a chance, try going on one of the Claves. You will find a great group of people who love to fish. We tried to set up a clave here in New York in the spring last year and we had five people who attened. It was held at Beaverkill near the West Fork of the Delaware river. I attended my first saltwater Clave last summer. My boys and I met the group on Washburn Island out on the Cape. We camped there for the weekend and fished the rip off Martha's Vineyard. We were going after Boneto which we caught one. I got a few Blues and some Fluke. A great time was had by all. Come to think of it, Last year was full of firsts in fishing for me; My first Stripper (32") at the rip off Monomoy Point, Cape Cod; my first Blue; My first Clave sponsored by FlyFishing.com; and this one kinda says I'm getting old, The old man was the guest of his sons. As for fishing in Vermont, I'd like to do that. Anybody out there of the same mind. Maybe a Trout Clave in the Green Mountains. What we need is someone who knows the great spots.

George

#3 ·
Welcome!

A Vermont classic sounds great. I recently drove over the White River and was impressed at how beautiful of a river it is. It must be something to trout fish in that foliage.

If you can get down to striper country you're welcome to join us on the coast as Papa-G said.

#4 ·
Welcome, one more "Trout People"
Some of my fondest memories were created streamside in Vermont. Maybe some day I'll get the chance to return and when I do, my 3Wt will be singing.
Keep posting your adventures, feels good to read about it even if I can't be there.

#5 ·
Welcome

Looks like I am your closest neighbor to respond. Over by Keene so Vermont is spitting distance from here:devil:

Anyone fishing for trout is a friend of mine!:cool:

#6 ·
Papa-G:
Well I have never been Striper fishing. A few of my buddies use to go when I went to school in Maine but I never made it, (smelt fishing is a different story);) I think they were surf casting for the stripers. Sounds fun.
Trout Clave in the Green Mtns? Sounds good to me! There are lots of great places to go, it would just take some organization. I'm most familiar with the northern streams which are generally on/off as far as fishing goes, some days are great others are slow. The timing would have to be just right. However I will be working this summer in southern Vermont. I'm living on top of Stratton Mountain doing research and I will pretty much have the weekends off.
Hey that brings up a question for you guys. I know what a Clave is, but where did the term originate?

juro:
Foilage makes for necessary roll casting expertise. I have also taught myself to cast with my off hand in an attempt to get around large leafed objects without wading across water. It ain't pretty but it seems to work alright. One advantage to small streams, you don't have to make those long roll casts, shoot sometimes you don't even need to cast! I love it!

FrenchCreek:
I'll keep you posted. Hopefully many more adventures to come!

Stone:
Howdy neighbor! Shoot i'll be close to you this summer. You ever get up north to fish the head waters of the Connecticut? I hear that is some amazing trout fishing but i've never made it over. Trout are definately my favorite fish, Brookies at the top. Last summer a friend got me into top water bass fishing tho. We worked for the state F&W dept. as campcouncelor/ hunter firearms saftey/ fishing instructors. The lake at camp has a great smallmouth population. I never flycasted for them but should have. I caught 3 smallies over 4lbs over the course of the summer. One of those on an ultralight spinning outfit which made things exciting to say the least! :whoa:

Thanks to all for the kind responses!

Noel

--If you study anything long enough it becomes philosophy. Why? because as John Lennon said; "It's all in your head"--

#7 ·
Conneticut

That is a good idea on the C. River. We both will not have to get out of state passes as both NH and VT have fishing rights from one shore to the other.

Went once, lost about five flies with no bites due to high water and just plain bad timing. (too early in the season last year)

Had luck on this side of the border up in Pittsburg though, Moose Bog. If you never been, you need one hell of a 4x4 truck or a Jeep with a winch to get out there, water all is about 4.5 - 5ft deep all around and has a very healthy population of native brookies.

Only caught one, he was small, but you sould have seen the tone of red in his belly! OMG!!!:eyecrazy:

Wish I could get up there more often.

#8 ·
You talking about Moose Pond? that's how it's labled in the map I found. That sounds like an amazing place! Wish i had the time to just roadtrip up there for a week.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=4996261&e=312681&loc=Pittsburg

I have a 4x4 truck but by the sounds of it she won't cut it. I have driven through some pretty gnarly "stuff" before but always with a buddy or two with a winch. Got to love those Maine Logging roads in April!!!!:devil:

Noel

#9 ·
That's the place.

If we get some dry weather, those logging roads should clear enough for a standard (but high clearance) 4x4 truck to make it.

Just be careful!:hehe:

#10 ·
Several glacial epochs ago, I lived in Burlington, and began my trout fishing in the area. My favorite was the Huntington River, a delightful little stream near Waterbury. The first trout took my fly when I was standing around with my line slack in the water, trying to decide what to do next. There's a dramatic little gorge several miles up from its mouth, where the cliff banks are almost close enough to clear the gulf with a running jump. I almost tried it, but unlike most 19-year-olds, I lacked a delusion of immortality, so in the end I didn't.
As I remember, rivers there are high and clouded this time of year. They're low and clear in the summer, but in the Green Mt. State, summer typically happens on the second Tuesday in August.

#11 ·
Nooksack Mac:

Yup, fished the Huntington River a week ago. Still a little cold for anything to be rising. You are referring to Huntington Gorge, seems like someone dies there about every year but it's a beautiful place. The waters of VT are unusually clear and calm this spring due to the lack of rain and minimal snow. That fact is probably detrimental to my work ethic, who wants to study for exams when you can go fishing!!:D

You know there are 4 seasons in Vermont but they are different than most. Up here we have almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction.

Ahh back to studying....:eyecrazy:

Noel

#12 ·
VT Trout Streams?

Good morning. I recently called my brother who lives up in VT. We decided to meet up this weekend with my younger brother and do a little brotherly fly fishing with mom in tow on mothers day :) She is not fly fishing on this trip but wanted to come and take pictures etc. Anyways how are the conditions in the streams? I know the streams may be running a little high due to the snow melt but was wondering if it was worth driving up? I am not asking about specific places, just if it is a good time to fish or not. I am dying to get on the water after exams, and try some new flies I have tied over the winter. Thanks, and tight lines!

Adrian

#13 ·
Hello Vtgreen,

I also live in NH, Grew up in Williamstown Ma. Fished all over Southern Vt as a kid & even into Lake Champlain. However, I have not fished in Vt since my High School days. 25 some odd years ago.
I have recently fished in the Conn River over by Charlestown NH/Springfield Vt, good bass & pike fishing over that way.

I do fish two or three times a year in Pittsburgh NH.
Stone, the Moose pond you show on your map link is on a good road one can drive a Cadillac to. There is a Moose Bog just over the Maine Border on on the upper reaches of the Magalloway river that fits your description of hard to get to. I am sure that there is more than one place the locals call Moose Bog in that part of the world.

Never the less, Fishing is good up in that section if you look around & like to bushwack some.

I would be up to joining you for a day of fishing anywhere around Central VT or NH if we can make it happen.

#14 ·
VTgreen- Lived in the Middlebury area for much of my life before relocating to Maine. Went to Law School in South Royalton and fishedthe White constantly. Also did a lot of time on Otter Creek, New Haven, Middlebury River, Mettowee, Battenkill, etc. Miss VT, but love Maine. And everyone is right, get down for some striper action- lots of fun. Where are you in VT?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.