Fly Fishing Forum banner

Spring tactics?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  h2o 
#1 ·
Well, spring is here, :razz: kind of. And I was just wondering what tactics most of you use in the high cold water. I have been swinging the biggest dark flies that I have on my 13’ 8wt. with a short head and a bit of T14 to get it down. Sometimes I will use a white fly like the weamer or a similar type fly.

Charlie.

#2 ·
wooley bugger variant

Charlie,

When I fish the coffee & cream water, like it has been for the past couple weeks,
(high and cold) I use dark or white flies, but usually end up going with big and bright.

This is a #2 heavy hook with yellow salmon & steelhead dubbing (it looks like rabbit with thin flashabou - lots of guard hairs), red hackle with a yellow collar.

One of many buggers I tend to fall back on. Simple, cheap, effective.

Steve

Attachments

#3 ·
Dirty Harry

This has been my go-to fly in chocolate milk conditions -- usually manges to dredge up a few. I'll have it on the end of a 15' T-7 or T-8, sometimes a 300 grain BB. To give the idea of size, the wing is about 3 1/2" and the hook is a 2/0 deep water salmon.

Attachments

#5 ·
Hey Charlie,
Your bored too huh ? (grin) Nothing you don't already know. Unfortunately in our area there is not much of a spring run and what there is hits the gravel quick. Drop backs like to grab some big stuff. I like to hit the mouths of the small tribs, in the spring and fish the surf when it's possible. The "kitty" is worth a day or two but, the fresh runs are in the buckeye state and so are the crowds these days, besides they hit the gravel asap their too.
I was swinging streamers on sink tips for Trout in a large river down this way.....and had some luck. Been tying Pike & Smallie fly's where again you see few on the rivers fishing and that's refreshing.
As far as spring Steelhead tactics I fish them less. When I do I still use my single hand rod, mostly sink tips and mostly the same streamers buggers, bunny & bucktails (grin)
Take Care
Bill/ h2o

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.