Fly Fishing Forum banner

Suggestions for instructional manual...

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Isgrigg 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for a good instructional manual to get me started with rod building. The first rods I plan to build will be flyfishing rods, so it's not imperative that I get one that covers the whole gammit of rod types - though I do hope to make some spinning/trolling/saltwater rods later. Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Shane

#2 ·
Books on Rod Building

I built my first rod last year (T&T 9ft 5wt 4-piece) and bought two books that seemed to help me:

"Rod-Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman ... covers fly, spinning, casting and trolling rods

and

"Fly Rod Building Made Easy" by Art Scheck ... covers only fly rods ... but I liked it better ... step by step instructions

Buy both ... lots of pictures and tips ... there are also lots of website and suppliers to help you get started too.

I was lucky my fishing club has classes on rod building during the winter and it helps to have some one to ask a question ... before the epoxy hardens and you have a $600 tomato stake.

Good Luck,

BTW, I would like to make a Spey rod next ... does any one know of a book or web site that has step by step instructions for a new and and slow witted rod builder like me? The handle and reel seat are the areas I would like help on. Wrapping guides and ferrals I am ok at.

Stephen

#4 ·
I was going to buy a cheap blank for the first rod, but the instructor said to build the rod you would like to own ... so I did ... and he was right.

The rod is my favirote trout rod ... casts like a dream and if I may be so bold look pretty darn good. I told my wife I name the rod for her ... "My Reason For Living" :chuckle: ... I don't think she bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.