Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter/Early spring trout

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Wildsmallie 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I just joined today, nice site. I've had a fly rod for some years but haven't had a lot of time to use it. I was wondering what the best kind of fly would be for trout in the middle of March. My spring break starts in a week so I'll have some time on my hands (sick of the tests :razz: ). The stream I fish does have a lot of scuds in it so I was thinking that would be a good pattern, but what other patterns would be good for cold water trout in North Iowa?

Travis

#2 ·
Welcome!

Travis,
Welcome to the Forum. Looks like the weather there is still a little cold. You might stick with scuds or try an emerger pattern, but I think anything on the surface would be a bit questionable. So you haven't been out in a while? You might want to get yourself a new leader and some new tippet, and check your line and clean it if it needs. Then, grab some good music for the drive and let someone know where your going, and hit the river!......Have a great time! And let us know how you did!

Deerhawk

#6 ·
You're right, it's hard to beat scuds on Midwestern trout, especially in early spring. I've only fished Iowa trout once, we fished a couple of the better known streams in the northeastern corner of the state. We caught lots of fish on a variety of nymphs, but one thing I remember is the incredible number of cased caddis on the rocks and logs. So, you might want to try a "peeking caddis" or other caddis larva pattern.
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.