Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chatham-South Beach-Spanked em.

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
This will be short... just got back to CAC... Pete is on his way.. Met Pete and Fred at the light house this morning on an early out going... Fred picked up one but Pete and I nothing. The Pete and I took the 9 AM Rip Rider to south Beach. We walked across to the ocean side since we had heard some good reports about the beach on the outgoing. The time was about middle out going and Pete picked up two right away both 25 plus inches. Well.. both he and I concluded around 2:45 missing two shuttles back.. We both said that it was the best day Striper fishing for both of us this year.. I stoped counting at 12 and we caught maybe between 40 and 50 stripers between us all between 25 and 32 inches., Nuf said.. we will both be on the the 8 AM shuttle with the tide just the same with one hour difference.

#2 ·
This one's from PeteGray...CAC member in good standing until I managed to get John significantly annoyed with 2 magnificent pesky 30" footballs as he looked on in HOROR and total disbelief... he was still smelling of skunk!...but that would soon change BIGTIME!
It's a good thing Fred-the-Impailoer took off when he did...it would have been alot of stress and strain on his new stick...
Had he been there, he would have developed a serious case of the dreaded "Striper Thumb"...Fred...We missed you BIG!
This little episode started at 1000 and finally "petered" out around 1400...I certainly hope those determined 8 or 9 stripers are still around in the morning to pick up where they left off!...like Energizer Bunnies, they just kept coming back for more...by the end of the day they were quite pooped and so were we.
Looks like a Tylenol night and we'll be back for another dose of OVERLOAD in the AM. The bus leaves at 0800, be under it!
Cheers
PeteGray

#4 ·
Great report you have paid your dues. I can't imagine what the Rip Trip would have been like!! Went back to my fresh water roots and fished the Farmington in Conn. Things have changed. Should have made it to the lighthouse. That is the story of my season so far. So close but no cigar. Guess I have to put in my time before I connect big time.

FishHawk

#7 ·
The Rip, you say ? Sounds like the kind of labor I love !
I was out at middle ground yesterday, very clear water and lots of big stripers crusing around, just not attached to my flyline, DOH! More clouds of sand eels than I've seen in a long time. Well, whats up for the big weekend, Rip Trip ??? PLEASE or do I have to hit the Vineyard again, not that I'm complaining, mind you ! Let's talk

#8 ·
bcasey (08-27-2001 03:30 p.m.):
The Rip, you say ? Sounds like the kind of labor I love !
I was out at middle ground yesterday, very clear water and lots of big stripers crusing around, just not attached to my flyline, DOH! More clouds of sand eels than I've seen in a long time. Well, whats up for the big weekend, Rip Trip ??? PLEASE or do I have to hit the Vineyard again, not that I'm complaining, mind you ! Let's talk
Must be something seeing those big stripers in that rip in clear water and bright sun! Were the sand eels getting sucked into the rip? Did the bass bust them as they came over the curl? Sounds exciting even if they were finicky. They're all finicky nowdays, even those blues out in the rips.

Unfortunately the tide's no good this weekend for a rip trip. As usual all are welcome to do it anyway but there will not be "the rip" within the hours we would be there.

But alas there are SOOOO many other venues in the area! I just send you an email, let's talk thru the week until our plans solidify for the weekend.

look forward to seeing you this weekend!

Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.