Fly Fishing Forum banner

Oil Spill

4K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  doogue 
#1 ·
Wonder if the oil spill will effect the migrants? Already oil has washed ashore in Westport and Fairhaven. Let's hope that it is contained. However, while watching CNN I could see a huge oil slick from the aerial shot that they showed. FishHawk With this post I have reached 500 posts.

#2 ·
I'm not sure about the migrant stripers...I have been wondering that myself over the past day. But the effect that is going to have on the shellfish, and other shore animals is devistating. I heard this morning that the last spill in Buzzard's Bay closed shelfishing for 6 years in some parts. Not too mention the lingering drops of oil that are going to break up and wash ashore all over the Cape.

Here's to light NE wind for a week...

Nick:(

#3 ·
I believe the problem is lack of accountability. When an oil company causes a spill, accidental or otherwise, they should be responsible for ALL costs associated with controlling the damage and impact on people's lives as well as the resources.

If this means the company is drained to the point of going bankrupt, so be it. In fact the more severe the punishment the better. Once the consequences for oil spills (atlantic salmon escapes, etc) becomes as potentially devastating to the companies as it is to the resources, they will take measures to prevent it. If the price of screwing up is the life of the company, they will take measures. Now it's "just a bunch of ducks, clams, and sand" to them. It should be the do or die of the company for anyone transporting hazardous goods.

Until then, we must pull together class action suits and make them pay for total restoration to the point of setting an example and drawing the line to the oil industry.

Did you read the quote?

"We apologize to the people of Massachusetts"

Accepted when you finish cleaning up the *%&$ mess on your dollar.

Anyone know how to instigate a class action suit?

#4 ·
Juro,
I don't know all the facts, but I do know that I depend on Oil. To heat my apt., drive my car, etc.

Making oil companies go bankrupt doesn't seem to be the best option as I'm sure prices will skyrocket.

I do agree that they should be held accountable, but maybe the way to do this is develop/enforce regulations that enable the safer transport of oil?

Like I said, I don't know all of the facts. What I do know is I hate oil in the bay and I would hate having to pay more than we already do for gas.

Nick

#5 ·
Nick, et. al. -

Increasing the risk to the corporate solvency does not change the equilibrium of supply vs. demand. It just changes the way business is conducted for the same numbers of gallons involved in commerce transactions.

In other words, the consumer will not have any less oil available just because one company screwed up and is paying the price. In fact, when Kmart went out of business the consumer did not lose access to general merchandise. One could speculate that it was the opposite, the increased availability that was their demise. Walmart might agree.

I admit I was making an extreme statement, but without a fog cutter sometimes people don't react.

My point is simply this - there is simply not enough risk to oil companies (transport companies, etc) for them to worry about oil spills. The attitude today is "whoops! I'm sorry".

The method to the madness is simply to establish a more urgent level of risk for the board to consider in their operational plans for the year. When they vote on investing in better tanker technology, it's a decision of cost vs. returns. If the risk of a spill is "whoops, sorry" then they will all vote "screw it" and spend the money on a new advertising campaign to improve consumer perception "we keep YOU warm", etc.

One line summary: Oil transport entities don't have enough reason to be more careful because the consequences are not dire enough if they screw up.

My suggestion: Make spills the bane of their existence, not just an afterthought.

OK - if not a threat to solvency, what does anyone suggest we do to make oil business more conscientious about their practices?

#7 ·
It's all healthy debate even when we don't sing the same tune Case! Sometimes it's hard to see that I might have a big smirk or even laughing mischievously as I post some of this stuff! Trust me I am. At the same a good debate brings things into a light where people reconsider their existing position once in a while, myself included, in any case it's a healthy exchange of ideas.

#8 ·
Aw! Now you have gone and done it, That's 2 things we agree on! I personally learn more from a good debate than you might think, and I enjoy it. I wish more people would chime in though, this is a great site where you can say what you feel and even if your a little timid, don't worry about it! Nothing should be taken with the feeling that your being kicked or looked down on. This is the only site I have ever seen that maintains an even keel when it comes to the posts and I hope we can keep it that way! So, come on guys and girls, jump in the water is warm and has been for some time!
And Juro, when I see you, in my minds eye, at the keyboard, the picture is most allways wearing a grin!:whoa:

#9 ·
This SUCKS!

Were they able to isolate the slick to any degree or are we going to be reminded of this all summer long as we see the damage done to the shoreline?

I find it comical that they would make a public statment like "we aplogise to the people of massachusetts" That is rich. This is not a new problem for the oil companies. Double-hulled transport does not seem to be cutting the mustard here. Didn't this happen just a year or two ago becuase one of their tanker captains was drunk?

I don't know the whole story here but will be looking into it. Just wanted to voice my displeasure over the situation.

:mad:

#11 ·
BigDave, I haven't read about it yet today but I think the barge was of the single hull type and that many are still in use. The dbl hull requirements are currently inplace for all NEW Tankers, which leaves alot of exposure to just this type of incident.
The spill of 1978 was somewhat larger, I think, and we STILL have oil showing from it on some of the beaches along West Falmouth! Believe it or not, but when my kids go swimming and come out with what looks like tar on their feet it's a sad reminder!

#12 ·
Case,

I hear ya - it is sad. Just read up on it a bit and apparently a 2'x12' crack in the hull led to the 10-mile slick. Wonder how far they motored before they figured it out?

The thing that kills me is that Bouchard transportation was responsible for the '74 and '78 spills as well. Talk about lack of accountability....these guys wrote the book!

#13 · (Edited)
Chiming In

Quote: [One line summary: Oil transport entities don't have enough reason to be more careful because the consequences are not dire enough if they screw up]

A: With which I agree completely.
B: Which suggests Federal and State regulations need to be beefed up.
C: Which suggests more dollars need to be funneled to enforcement.
D: Right now, where's the money going to come from ???
(a) Will the Feds ever effectively fund enforcement ?
(b) Will potential funding go to EPA, FEMA, or USCG ?
(c) Will legislation ever be enacted to halt this type of disaster?

I agree with Dave in part; double-hull transport won't cut it if companies don't get strangled to keep up their equipment, or if a grounding incident report isn't mandated - prior to re-inspection and re-deployment of the so-called grounded vessel. But, I think this is reported out as a single-hull coastal barge; shouldn't matter, safety and protection of resources are paramount.

Problem - restraint of trade; whether international or domestic. This vessel, owned by a company known to 'officials', is the same domestic outfit which lost a barge in that NYC detonation, among other incidents. Will it ever be realized that restraint of trade, loss of revenues, whatever, will never meet or exceed the damage an incident like this can cause WITHOUT PROPER, EFFECTIVE AND ENFORCEABLE REGULATORY PROCEDURES ??? (sound familiar ???)

Enact concrete laws and regulations; not some wishy washy crap with all kinds of loopholes to be exonerated through.

Agree with Juro's hand grenade - Make THEM pay to the point of elimination!

Nick - the reports said this oil was #6 crude - the kind of stuff that mirrors the floods in the Kuwaiti desert; the kind of stuff which is refined further, or used as fuel for large, on-line power systems, heater systems or propulsion systems for the giants that carry it back and forth. It doesn't break down easily, as is evidenced by Exxon Valdez and other worse or lesser spills.

That sucker was loaded with industrial fuel; not #2 diesel for your heating system or gas for your four wheeler. Who of us knows where it was headed. We don't want the industry who potentially owned it to suffer with frivolous lawsuits because the transporter screwed up

Yeah, we all depend on fuel, no argument there. We all might just be too altruistic by thinking that protections are strong enough to keep it from happening again and again - obviously we don't have enough controls in place - money buys freedom from compliance just like it does anything else.

What's the answer? Is the answer a "class-action"?; maybe. Is there enough 'juice' (money) and 'pissed-off' (organizations and individuals interested in influencing current SOP) and so forth, collectible from this membership, in concert with and aligned in spirit with other 'memberships' to reach the listening devices of the lawmakers???

What'll be the galvanizing item which causes everybody to get on the same train ? - because if it happens due to this one incident, then it ought to effect a bundle of other things we collectively "care" about.

Yeah, make them pay until they don't exist anymore, and don't let them off any federal or state hook, either.

Apologize, my ass.

P.S. - just saw Dave's comment on the other spills - my point exactly - take the protections away by making the lawmakers answer to the victimized, and worry less about their campaign funds.

0500 hrs news said they were recovering dead birds; loons, coot, etc.

#14 ·
This whole thing stinks and the more time goes by the more it stinks. Someone is playing cover-up and hide the truth.

I have it on really good reliable source that this affair started around noon on Sunday with a report of a spill or leak in a barge that was NORTH WEST of Cuttyhunk. The Coast Guard supposedly told the Tug/Barge to lay too until cleared for entrance. Two small Coast Guard boats reportedly were sent West and North of Cuttyhunk where they reported a moderate spill with a Sheen report of 4 out of 10, 10 being heaviest and 0 being no oil showing.
The Coast Guard then directed the tug/barge to proceed to Anchorage Area #7 which is North of Woods Hole, some 14 or more miles from the original call to the anchorage area where the Marine Inspection Office came out before sunset on sunday and divers were put down and confirmed a 2X12 foot gash in the bottom of the barge.
If the incident happened North West of Cuttyhunk who is the idiot that told the tug/barge to continue on into the Bay with a leaking Barge? They should have held the tug/barge outside the Bay until they could apply a negative vacumn to the affected tanks, thus stopping the outflow of oil, and then entered to go to the anchorage area.
We now have a 14 mile plus long slick spreading out across the entire freaking Bay area.
The Coast Guard reported they were notified around 1700 on Sunday but the radio VHF reports were heard starting around 1200 noon on Sunday. Who isn't telling the truth and why are the most important questions to be answered.

Sure there is going to be damage from this spill. It was #6 Bunker Oil this time, not the #2 Home Heating Oil like back in 1978. The '78 spill was way up by Cleveland Ledge and the marshes of North Falmouth are still hurting.
How many years do you suspect this spill and it's effects will be around?

#16 ·
I just read the CC Times and they report that the Barge was a single hull and that the owners were deciding wether to rehab it for the new regulation for dbl hull. They had until 2005 to upgrade it. They also gave a quote from the power plant in Sandwich where the #6 was headed, the plant owners wanted to make it clear that the barge AND the oil were not owned by them and that the transportation company has full responsibility.
Nor-Easter's comments have me VERY concerned about the possible cover-up regarding the timing of the call to the CG and the order to move the barge and further the spill! I want to hear more about that!:whoa:

#17 · (Edited)
Interesting info provided by Capt. Chet - who'll have to answer for this? and I hope whomever it is, they all get grappling hooks shoved up their A$$es and ripped back out. Wouldn't do any good though; too bad.

Maybe it's time to start shaking the bushes and contact both state and federal representatives to find out what's going on. If there's enough interested response, I'll find my online stuff and post it here for group use.

#18 ·
Screw It

Here's the Federal side:

108th CONGRESS – 4/03

MASSACHUSETTS CONGRESSIONAL DELEGATION

U.S. SENATORS

(All Senate Mail Addresses ﷓ Washington, D.C. 20510)

Edward M. Kennedy (D)

Boston: 2400 JFK Federal Bldg., 02203
(617) 565﷓3170

Washington: 315 Russell Senate Office Bldg.
(202) 224﷓4543
Fax: (202) 224-2417
E-mail: senator@kennedy.senate.gov

John F. Kerry (D)

Boston: One Bowdoin Square, 10th floor, 02114
(617) 565﷓8519
Fax: (617) 248-3870

Springfield: One Financial Plaza, 12th floor, 01103
(413) 785﷓4610
Fax: (413) 736-1049

Fall River: 222 Milliken Place, Suite 311, 02722
(508) 677﷓0522
Fax: (508) 677﷓0275

Worcester: 90 Madison Place, Room 205, 01608
(508) 831-7380
Fax: (508) 831-7381

Washington: 304 Russell Senate Office Building
(202) 224﷓2742
Fax: (202) 224-8525
E-mail Address: john kerry@kerry.senate.gov

CONGRESSMEN

(Members of the U.S. House of Representatives)

(All House Mail Addresses ﷓ Washington, D.C. 20515)

FIRST DISTRICT
John W. Olver (D)

Pittsfield Office: Federal Building, Room 205
78 Center Street, 01201
(413) 442﷓0946
Fax: (413) 443-2792

Holyoke Office: 57 Suffolk Street, Suite 310, 01040
(413) 532﷓7010
Fax: (413) 532-6543

Fitchburg Office: 463 Main Street, 01420
(978) 342-8722
Fax: (508) 343-8156

Washington Office: 1027 Longworth House Office Bldg.
(202) 225﷓5335
Fax: (202) 226-1224
E-mail: john.olver@mail.house.gov

SECOND DISTRICT
Richard E. Neal (D)

Springfield Office: New Federal Building, Suite 309
1550 Main Street, 01103
(413) 785﷓0325

Milford Office: Post Office Building
4 Congress Street, 01757
(508) 634-8198

Washington Office: 2133 Rayburn House Office Building
(202) 225﷓5601
Fax: (202) 225-8112
E-mail: www.house.gov/writerep/

THIRD DISTRICT
James McGovern (D)

Worcester Office: 34 Mechanic Street, 01608
(508) 831-7356
Fax: (508) 754-0982

Fall River Office: 218 South Main Street, Rm 204, 02721
(508) 677-0140
Fax: (508) 677-0992

Attleborough Office: 1 Park Street, 02703
(508) 431-8025
Fax: (508) 431-8017

Washington Office: 430 Cannon House Office Bldg., 20515
(202) 225-6101
Fax: (202) 225-5759

FOURTH DISTRICT
Barney Frank (D)

Newton Office: 29 Crafts Street, 02458
(617) 332﷓3920

New Bedford Office: 558 Pleasant Street, Room 309, 02740
(508) 999-6462

Taunton: Jones Building
29 Broadway, Suite 310, 02780
(508) 822-4795
Fax: (508) 822-8186

Washington Office: 2210 Rayburn House Office Building (202) 225﷓5931
Fax: (202) 225-0182

FIFTH DISTRICT
Martin T. Meehan (D)

Lowell Office: 11 Kearney Square, 01852
(978) 459-0101
Fax: (978) 459-1907

Lawrence Office: 305 Essex Street, 4th floor, 01840
(978) 681-6200
Fax: (978) 682-6070

Haverhill Office: Haverhill City Hall, 2nd floor, Rm 201A
4 Summer Street, 01830
(978) 521-1845
Fax: (978) 521-1843

Washington Office: 2229 Rayburn House Office Building
(202) 225﷓3411
Fax: (202) 226-077
TTY: (202) 225-1904

SIXTH DISTRICT
John F. Tierney (D)

Peabody Office: 17 Peabody Square, 01960
(978) 531-1669
Fax: (978) 531-1996

Lynn Office: Lynn City Hall, Room 514, 01902
(781) 595-7375
Fax: (781) 595-7492

Washington Office: 120 Cannon House Office Building, 20515
(202) 225-8020
Fax: (202) 225-5915

SEVENTH DISTRICT
Edward J. Markey (D)

Medford Office: 5 High Street, Suite 101, 02155
(781) 396﷓2900

Framingham Office: 188 Concord Street, Suite 102, 01701
(508) 875-2900

Washington Office: 2108 Rayburn House Office Building
(202) 225﷓2836
Fax: (202) 226-0092
E-mail: www.house.gov/writerep

EIGHTH DISTRICT
Michael E. Capuano (D)

Cambridge Office: 110 First Street, 02141
(617) 621-6208
Fax: (617) 621-8628

Roxbury Office: Roxbury Community College, Room 110, 02119
Fax: (617) 541-6909

Washington Office: 1232 Longworth House Office Building
(202) 225﷓5111
Fax: (202) 225-9322

NINTH DISTRICT
Stephen F. Lynch

Boston Office: John Joseph Moakley Federal Courthouse
One Courthouse Way, Suite 3110, 02210
(617) 428-2000
Fax: (617) 428-2011

Brockton Office: Brockton Federal Building
166 Main Street, 02301
(508) 586-5555
Fax: 508-580-4692

Washington Office: 319 Cannon House Office Building
(202) 225﷓8273
Fax: (202) 225-3984
E-mail: stephen.lynch@mail.house.gov

TENTH DISTRICT
William D. Delahunt (D)

Quincy Office: 1250 Hancock Street, Suite 802-N, 02169
Toll-free: 1-800-794-9911
(617) 770-3700
Fax: (617) 770-2984

Hyannis Office: 146 Main Street, 02601
Toll-free: 1-800-870-2626
(508) 771-0666
Fax: (508) 790-1959

Washington Office: 1317 Longworth House Office Building
(202) 225-3111
Fax: (202) 225-5658
E-mail: william.delahunt@mail.house.gov

State is: www.state.ma.us/legis to find both Senate and House delegates

#21 ·
Dave,
Excellent breakdown. I am surely not saying that I don't think they should be held TOTALLY responsible for their actions. And after reading this and more, I do feel that more liability needs to be placed in the hands of the Shippers. Accelerating the Double Hull act is also a must, and while it isn't an end all to the situation, it may have helped to slow or eliminate this and future spills.

I find it rather amusing that the destination for the oil came out and publicly denied ownership. Like it or not, its everyone's problem in the area now. And while monetary blame should be placed on the shipper, to be so forth right in denoucing any ownership bugs me.

Chet, great info. Very curious to see where this leads. Although all we can do now is try to fix this problem ASAP and prevent another as best we can.

There is no use in crying over spilt milk, but there is use in designing a better cup.

Nick

#22 · (Edited)
that sonofabitchin' barge was most likely cracked before it was loaded, which busted it open once out to sea.

Just for the hell of it, in case anybody ever wanted to know - #6 oil is so thick it requires a pre-heater to heat it enough to get to the burners - it sucks to work around it if there's any kind of leakage, believe me.

I keep editing this.

Nick, the building of a better teacup isn't the problem; it's already been done. If this pig had any sign of a leak, it could have been found under pressure. Why shouldn't each and every one of these scows be mandated to be pressure tested before loading cargo - and make the owner responsible for scheduling, testing and certification of seaworthiness, costs included, with a certificate drafted by and returned to the USCG with a test report done by certified outside contractors - sure, outside contracting can be paid off to cheat and lie, but whose gonna lie about a pressure test if it means a piece of their ass???

And - how many of these things - single hull, I mean, do you think are sunk right next to the wharves they were tied to when they sank??? - more than you can imagine.

Nick - none of this sounding off is flaming at you, either, so don't make me call you on the FONE !:tsk_tsk:

(Damn editor:eyecrazy: ) If there's a deadline of 2005 to convert single hulls, then why not make inspection mandatory and condemn every damn on that doesn't hold up to Superman's powers - bcuz not all of them are pieces of $&!#.

#23 ·
Don't worry dave, I know its not at me...just good discussion. I agree that the solution is out there...and maybe the "cup design" is actually more of a "we should get the cup out and use it" like you say.

I really like the idea of forcing more regulation upon these ships. If there is a way to test the pressure load capability of these monsters, THEN IT SHOULD BE DONE.

Nick

#24 ·
Aside from making the bastards financially liable for this kind of violence (and that's exactly what negligence of this degree is), I say they should be made to go swimming in a vat of whatever sludge they're spewing out there.

Contact your senator, but what we really need here is the address of the captain and the ship's owner.

#26 ·
We are gifted with one of the most beautiful and richest coastlines on this green earth. There has never been a day since the first day I looked out over the horizon over the breathing surf on Cape Cod that I haven't felt a special sense of redemption just to be there. When I lay the day's first footsteps on the cool sand with the burning red dawn coming up over the water, I feel like I've come to be with an old friend, a soulmate who has never let me down. He asks only one thing of me, and that is to keep an eye on the antics of my own kind.

These guys have got to go - strike three you're out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.