Fly Fishing Forum banner

What's turning?

6K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Hank Overturf 
#1 ·
Anyone working on a rod project this winter? I'd love to hear of any rods in the making.

#2 ·
Jim -

I will start wrapping some guides... on the rod I started last winter :rolleyes:

This weekend's busy and next weekend's the show, but I hope to make some progress between then and the Seattle show.

On your reminder, I am going to get some stuff for my wrapping stand today while running errands.

Thanks to everyone for the recent replies on my tensioning question!

#3 ·
Ive got all the fixings for a 10 wt travel rod , and have a 3 wt blank to play with. Juro I've got you beat in the unfinished rod dept with a spinning rod thats needed 3 more guides & finish for 2 1/2 years now. :rolleyes: But then as a spinning rod it gets low priority.:devil:

#4 · (Edited)
Building "sacrificial" fly rods

I'm in the middle of an interesting winter project: a pair of very inexpensive fly rods to be left in my travel trailer as disaster tackle, should my boat capsize or my Broncho get plundered while I sleep.
I could have just used some of my unused older rods, mostly fibreglass. But I wanted multi-piece rods to better fit in cabinets and crannies. A seller in Seattle has been dutch-auctioning IM-6 blanks for $9.99 on eBay (you can find them there now; try "fly rod blank.") I'm building a 8.5' 4-weight, and a 9' 7-weight, both 3-piece blanks. I also got several cheap reel seats and reels via eBay. The reels, all under my $10 limit, include an old Pflueger Sal-Trout, a Martin, and a Cortland Rimfly. A frequent bonus of these used reels is a free flyline; tha

t got me a 444 WF4F in fine condition.
It's hard to find cheap cork (are rodmakers depleting the world supply?), but bargains can be found in other components. For these two rods, a 49-cent cloth mill end will be hand sewn into two rod bags (takes about an hour per bag; a good TV-watching project).

#5 ·
I making a 14wt for tuna to go with the boat I'm making. :eek: So far all I have done is find the spline, spine oh whatever you call it. It was really easy for the tip but not so easy for the lower section. I have all the parts but not sure I have all the tools I'll need. After that all I will need is time.

#6 ·
SPEYROD TO MIDGET RODS

I to have several projects in the off and in the works.
Have several bamboo restorations go get going so that I can do little light lining.
Also there are a couple of Speyrods to finish if I get the chance.
Nothing makes me feel better than a newly built rod.
I like to dress them up with hand turned reelseats inserts of Amboyna or Claro Walnut Crouch Wood, with nickel Silver findings; Agate guides and feather Inlays.
Seeing the project come together gives me a never-ending sense of accomplishment.

Speybum
:devil:

#7 ·
I've got 6 rods that I'm going to be starting within the next week.

1- 2pc 8ft 4wt IMX blanks with Forecast reelseat and Forecast TiCH plated single foot guides with TiCH ceramic strippers

2- 2pc 9ft6 6wt IMX blanks with PacBay woven graphite reelseats(similar to GLX style) and Forecast TiCH singlefoot ceramics and matching strippers

1- 2pc 8ft 4wt Scott G blank(components undecided but will use either Venerri or Bellinger ULSB seats)

1- 2pc 8ft6 4wt Scott G blank(similar components to other Scott)

1- 3pc 7ft6 3wt Diamondback Classic Trout blank(components undecided)

After these I plan on building 2 Dan Craft SIGV blanks(a 10ft 7wt and 10ft 8wt,both 3pc blanks).These blanks are AWSOME and are almost exact clones of the Loomis GLX,only lighter.Highly recommended!

I'll be busy through the spring and maybe the summer too,depending on when I can afford the rest of the components.

PS- Juro,I tried to send you a private message in regards to part of your rod building project(adding the extra cork ring to your seat & grip).

#8 ·
JIm,
I just met a guy at work that has a bunch of Montague blanks. I am going to buy a 7ft , and a 7'8'' blank from him. He had bought a few hundred blanks years ago.
These blanks are unferruled, so it will be interesting. They are pre- war Tonkin cane.

#9 ·
Looks like some serious wrapping going on. Everything from Bamboo to Tuna.

Hawkeye, I've got a make shift wrapping jig and a 36rpm rod turner when you get to work on it. What kind of blank did you go with on the 14wt? Preformed cork or turning your own?

#10 ·
Hey, Domenick - a question

I used to build bamboo rods, more yearsago than I care to think about. Just wondering ... does anyone still make decent ferrules? If so, what materials do they come in? The old favorite was German Silver. I used to get them at a local "company store" from a rod manufacturer.

Using those old Montague blanks should be fun. Bamboo does make up some very pretty rods, and they making casting aesthetically beautiful (but I personally HATE the action! Everything seems to happen in slow motion!)

Some one of these days, I probably will have to build me another bamboo rod, just for old times' sake. And, I'll probably do a lot of fancy wraps, just like on the old, traditional "high-class" rods. Maybe even take it fishing.

BobK

#11 ·
Bob, Domenic -
If you guys are up for it, snap a couple of pics while your working on the cane rods. I think it would make a great addition to the rodrack. You don't need to write a big long story (unless you want to) but a few pics with a caption or two of cane rod building would great to have online. Regular prints are fine, I can scan them and get them back to you.

How's that rod coming Juro? Better get to it I think the ice is starting to break up in the harbor.

:eyecrazy:

#12 ·
Jim,

I just noticed your post - thanks for the offer but I just finished (well it needs another coat) the rod using a cardboard box and hand turning it. I wont be winning any awards for artwork but it looks just fine and I'm sure will handle the fish. When the second coat is done I'll snap a couple shots for the rod rack.

I was amazed at how easy it is to build a rod and it would have been a lot easier if I used only one color thread.

#13 ·
I'm set to build an 8-wt. with an IMX blank, complimenting my 9-wt. rod of the same blank type. I love the feeling of fishing a rod that would cost $500+ in the store, but which cost me less than $175 total. This is my fifth "home-built" rod, and now when I go into the LFS and pick up some rod with a price tag that makes my head swim, I just smile to myself and think what I can build it for. Long live the rod builders!

#14 ·
Flyfisha1,that's a real cannon you've built yourself there!I'm also a big fan of the IMX blanks.Real powerhouse tapers with a lively feel to them.

Between rodbuilding and EBay,I won't ever buy at full price again(not when you can have the same thing for 1/2 price).

I absolutely love the number and quality of different components available to a custom rodbuilder.

Saw some new Venneri seats that just blew me away.I plan on getting one or two for my next rods.

I just got a Bellinger ULSB Amboyna Burl seat the other day for a little 3wt Diamondback Classic I will be starting soon.This seat is so amazingly impressive that I end up staring in awe at it ever time I pick it up.Best of all,I didn't pay any more than I would for your standard Struble seat thanks to a great deal from Dan Craft.

Ya gotta love rodbuilding!

#16 ·
12-wt. rod

I've been kicking around the idea of building a 12-wt. rod later this Spring for tarpon, and was hoping to do it with an IMX blank. The problem is that Loomis doesn't make the IMX in anything heavier than a 10-wt.; rather, I'd have to go to a GL3, which is slower and only comes in a 2-pc. blank. Does anyone have any suggestions for a fast-action 12-wt. blank of reputation? For that matter, has anyone fished with a 12-wt. GL3? Can you tell me what it's like? That blank retails for $139, not too shabby, but I prefer fast action rods, faster than the GL3s I've picked up in the stores.

#17 ·
I've been building a 2 piece St Croix SCIV 9'6" 8wt this winter. It's really fast and powerful. I know they make a 12wt in the same blank model.

As a sidenote, I also have a 4 piece SCIV 8'6" 4wt and it's much slower. I can't tell if they made it slower intentionally, but my guess is that the added feurilles slow it down. Moral is: If you want the fast blanks, stay with the 2-piece.

Neil

#18 ·
Yes, I just saw the SCIV blank; I, too, have a couple of rods built on those blaks, and wasn't aware until a few moments ago that they had a 12-wt., in both 2- and 3-pc. models. I'll probably go with the 3-pc. for the sake of travel. Thanks!

#20 ·
Wow! Lots of great projects in the works.

Gregg, I've heard that the cardboard box/book method is as good as any. Bet you can't wait to hook Mr. Tuna. What did you go with for a blank? Did you use snakes or regular eyes for the 14wt?

Flyfisha1, I built a 7wt on that blank last year, it's fast alright. I agree with Neil, you should be able to chuck just about anything with the 12wt.

TonyD, That seat sounds sweet. Have you got a picture of it?

Hank, I've only built a couple rods, I learned a trick or two but there are many others much more experienced than I that will help out. Questions are good we can all learn something by getting some dialog going. Post away, and best of luck on the project.

#21 ·
Jim - Yup, I really love the speed of the IMX series; shouldn't have any trouble launching flies with the 8-wt.!

I was down at the LFFS today picking up a few tying materials, and spoke with one of the staff about the 12-wt. I want to build. He told me to check out www.customtackle.com and have a look at the Rainshadow IM6 blanks they stock, which are supposedly quite good and at the same time are relatively inexpensive (they have the 12-wt. in a 2-pc. blank only, but it's only $61). Admittedly, I've never used anything heavier than a 10-wt., and he was telling me the benefits of using a moderate-fast action rod with such a heavy line (i.e. easier to load without lots of false casting, helps you fight the fish from the butt rather than the tip, etc.). I'm still going to go with the 3-piece SCIV blank, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of or used these Rainshadow blanks? By the way, this guy was also showing me a Tibor Pacifica to go with the rod. I may have to indulge in that one; it's a helluva reel!

#23 ·
Jim,

It's a 14/15 wt Pacific Bay and no I can't wait for Mr. Tuna to show up in our waters again! I ask Michael on almost a daily basis - "Are they in yet?" - I figure we've got at least 4 more months to wait. Perhaps I'll break it in with a shark.

#25 ·
Components

Hi all,
I've finished my first rod and learned a lot in the process. The rod I just finished was a 4 piece, 4 wt., 9' graphite pack rod. It was a kit from Cabelas FT Graphite blank. All went well and smoothly but I found a couple of things I would like to change. First of all I would like to usa a Sage blank next on a 5-6 wt rod. Secondly, what is a good gold colored thread to use. I was not satisfied with the thread that Cabelas sent. It seemed to come apart and look ratty so I changed to a different color combination. Finally, where do you recommend buying components?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to get started on a 8' ft 5-6 wt graphite fly rod for my wife.

Hank

#26 ·
Hi Hank - Welcome to the forum...
The first rod I built was, coincidentally, also an FT kit from Cabelas, though mine was a 4-pc. 6-wt. If you ordered it from their website or their "standard" fly fishing catalog, you might think about requesting their "Tackle Craft" catalog, over 75% of which is comprised of rod-building supplies such as blanks, thread, components, building tools, etc. Metallic thread gave me some problems early on, also; I couldn't use it on my first rod, but was able to on my second simply due to the learning curve. Gudebrod is probably about as good as it gets when it comes to thread, though some others on the forum with more experience may set me straight on that point.
I've only built four rods to date, though numbers five, six, and seven are upcoming in the next month or so. I've bought most of my supplies from Cabela's simply because there are no local stores that carry rod-building items in stock, and I've come to greatly appreciate Cabela's selection and customer service. There are many reputable retailers and mail-order companies that offer rod-building components; do a search on the web and you're bound to find a dozen or more companies dealing with these supplies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.