Fly Fishing Forum banner

Whats a cow?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ssully 
#1 ·
At one time they were known as bull bass, and then they became cows. As far back as I can remember a striper did not gain bull or cow status until it was 40 lbs. A normal healthy striper at 40 lbs is 45 " or longer. I'm curious what is the general opinion of when does a stripah reach" COW BASS" status.

#2 · (Edited)
Interesting discussion - some old school verses new school going on I think

IMHO when you catch a 40" bass from shore on a fly, it's a milestone. Maybe not a cow... but a heck of a catch especially in October when they look like cows in the belly and pull like sea monsters. My biggest from shore on fly was 46".

I don't know poundages because I don't kill and weigh this class of fish. Curious to hear what others have to say.

#3 ·
A cow is in the eye of the beholder.

I guess I think in terms of quality. I seem to have caught a lot of hot 25 to30" fish this year that I consider high quality. Another factor affecting quality (IMO) is where a fish is caught. A 20- 30# striper caught where it needs to run a 100 yards to get to water over 3 or 4 feet deep is a memorable fish.

#4 ·
Totally agree a 40" fish on the fly or any gear is an accomplishment, your personal best of 46" in normal growth and weight conditions definitely put you over the 40lb mark. Old school had 16" at legal keeper status:Eyecrazy: wow it's amazing how hard they worked to maintian the species:roll:.But a 40" fish weighs in the 20's,there have been spring migration days on the canal when they were like catching schoolie rats,they fight longer and harder but they were hitting everything like a kamikaze schoolie. IMHO a milestone is something not easily or readily obtainable, hence the 40lb mark. I mostly aim my opinion from a shore catching basis,from a boat 40lbs is still a cow but it's more obtainable.

#5 ·
No need to kill

Juro you don't have to kill em to weigh em, bogas or digital scales work on live fish to.:hihi: . Fred memorable fish don't have to be monsters, some of the most memorable fish to me were the 3 " sunfish I would catch at the age of 5 or younger with my dad offering encouragement ,and tutoring me on when to strike when they took the worm. But I'm looking for the general consensus of when a stripah reaches COW status.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.