Fly Fishing Forum banner

Early Runs?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  dansteelieman 
#1 ·
I have only been doing the great lakes tribs steelhead thing for a few years. Every year has been the same issue as far as precipitation. Drought during the summer and early falls. At least in the midatlantic region there has been an unusual amount of rainfall this summer so far.
If stream flows stay up through late summer and early fall do you think we should expect earlier than usual runs of steelhead? Or is the case more of a fact that water temp and/ or photoperiod are more contributing factors and that low water acts as a limiting factor cutting off or delaying a run till water levels rise?
Anyone who has seen a similar summer climate and experienced the effects on the fall fishery should know more about what to expect.
What do you think?

#2 ·
SW,

It's anyone's guess. I'll let you know next year how this fall went. However, this is how I think this season will pan out. The lake Michigan tribs will be phenominal this season. Last year was almost a non-event. The lake stayed cooler because of the colder winter and summer. There's lots of bait in the water and the fish are feasting. The fish I caught last year ran smaller (25 inches give or take) and I think most fish decided to stay in the lake another season. So now you'll have last year fish coming up with the fish from this year. Of course, a couple of good spates to get the water up will help as well.

You'll hear about 4 year cycles. '99 was great. We're in year 4 and last year was bad.

So is all of this wishful thinking? I'm a Lions fan and that is about as wishful as it gets.

You don't know if you don't go.

voodoofly

#3 ·
VF has the right idea, I believe - stay optimistic and
GO FISHING.
Being a Lions fan, however, might be pushing it.

my 2 cents, though - I think low lake levels have got to be affecting the runs... with a relatively damp summer and high river level, I think VF is on the right track and that a lot of fish that couldn't do it the last two years might try now.

good luck.

#4 ·
I am optomistic as well, but I am not a lions fan.

I didn't get much steelhead fishing in last year because of low water, frozen streams and vehicle troubles ect... I am making up for it this fall though. I got to get all the equipment out and ready. I am going to make sure I am prepared.

#10 ·
runs....

I believe the fall steelhead run will be phenominal. With a poor run last year and lake/river temps not confluencing due to the dry, hot summer; the fishing this fall should be fantastic. We are having a cool, wet summer and the kings have been in our Lk. Michigan tribs since mid July. Also, fall should be a little less dry and hot and a little cooler as predicted, so that should just help the fishing.

BTW, being a lions fan isn't a bad thing...at least I can say that I was fishing and not sitting in front of the TV if they lose. This year we should be a better ball club.... several rookies that will get looks, and some veterens that know how to play, and a new coach that has taking other teams to championships.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.