Fly Fishing Forum banner

RIP TRIP IV WILL NOT GO - BUT AS A CONSOLATION....

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  i'm so outta here 
#1 ·
Dear RIP TRIP IV crew -

<b><font color="0000ff">Keith has called to inform me that the south tip trip will be out of the question due to work on the big vee hull's power plant.</font><!--color--></b>

He says that the other boat will be able to take us to a very special place on <b><font color="ff0000">South Island, the NORTHERN FLATS!</font><!--color--></b> Although this last couple of weeks have not been of year for the flats, the best fishing has been around the west end of the crib.

It's another unprecedented fishery on the South Island if we would like to take the opportunity.

<b>PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR OPINION HERE>>></b>

<i>If we decide not to go, I'd be just as happy to paddle across to the Yakbone #1 spot to ambush the much more prevalent bonito blitzes of late. The spot has been so productive for me in the past and it's just a matter of time before they pound the inlet again (and again).</i>

Thoughts on the South Island's north flats?

See less See more
#3 ·
Gang,
I have heard from a good source that the flats were quiet,but you know that can change overnight.

I vote for chaseing bones,if the weather stays like this a lot of the tourons will bail early=less boats.

Traffic is very light right now in Bourne like a ghost town except on the Canal some fish breaking out in the middle.

G
#4 ·
We checked out Yakbone #1 spot last week in Greg's boat. Not much happening on the outgoing tide mid day, but who knows in the early morning.

If someone can inform me of a decent pay spot in the area to launch the boat, I'd be willing to play Jim O. for Yakbone #2. I'm certain I can fish 1 off the bow and shuttle 2 plus gear.

Al

#5 ·
The flats have been quiet on the North Monomoy side, but the part that has had fish has been the crib on the west end. This is the north island side of the expansive flats reaching from the south island's northwest corner. I've never fished the south island's northern flats from shore, and I love firsts.

Without a boat, chasing bones is always hit or miss. That being said, I've seen incredible bonito and albie blitzes over the years and they always make an appearance around the river mouths and jetties on the southside: Chatham / Stage outlet, Herring, Bass, Parkers, Craigville, South Cape and Wacky, Surf Drive and Falmouth ponds, Nobska, Woods Hole... Despite the lack of consistency in the pursuit it's such a major accomplishment to land a speedster from shore.

Both sound real good to me! In fact Keith may not be running the shuttle with the possibility of thundershowers anyway. I'll talk to him tonight.

Juro

#6 ·
Hey Al -

What about a Boneclave preview at Wacky? There would be few people (if any) on the west jetty despite tons of boat traffic it might be fun playing with the schoolies until the bones decide whether to run the jetty rip or not.

I would be willing to hike out from South Cape if you can shuttle me across the jetty.

#9 ·
I fished the western crib from the SI side yesterday with Craig and Mike and we did not see a fish. There was also a flats boat fishing nearby and they did not get anything either. We did not fish there long but still we did not see a thing.

By contrast we saw lots of cows in the shallow but not wadeable waters on the west side of SI. We spooked one bass so bad it made a fair imitation of a salmon leap and nearly jumped into the boat.

I'm pulling the night shift with Mike tonight and may miss the final plans for the group but my vote is for wacky and will go there if we don't hear anything different.

#10 ·
Sounds like the vote is for a bone preview over at Wacky. If anyone can shuttle from White's landing, let us know. Otherwise walk over from South Cape and I'm sure folks will shuttle us over to the west side.

Feel free to call me on the cell (781) 929-2843

See you tomorrow if you decide to show, I will tell Keith we're off for Monomoy.

Opinions?

G
#12 ·
I'll be putting in on the other side of Waqiout Bay from White's; not sure of the name, but it looks like it shortens the trip to the jetty fairly significantly, and I have it second hand that there is room for six trailers at the ramp (non-residents are OK). I'll post a scan of the map I have of the area. I have room for one, possibly two at the launch at 5:45 AM. I'll post directions.

Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.