Fly Fishing Forum banner

your experiences fishing with a baby

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rimouskois 
#1 ·
I will be on parental leave for 2.5 months this year in June, July and half of August. This is the best time for fishing in eastern Quebec and I hope to do that. I of course will be taking care of my daughter who will be 9-11.5 month old over that period. This is also the favourite time for black flies, mosquitos and moose flies which can do a number of the heartiest of souls. We have a baby backpack and I think I will buy a full body bug suit for her, perhaps use some citronella.

Has anybody gone fishing with their young baby? What are your experiences, words of advice?

Dan

#2 ·
I just came off paternity leave and fishing wasn't really happening. However I did do a lot of exploring which was better than if I was fishing. During the days I would pack the kid up and just go driving looking for access points along rivers and beaches. Picked up quite a few places to do some fishing now that paternity leave is over:smokin:

-sean

#3 ·
Hmmm...the time window between naps and feeding is so small, unless you live on the stream, I don't see how you'll have the time. At that age, a morning nap is still a part of many babies days. I wish you luck. Report what works.
Is mom cool with this?

#5 ·
I live out in the woods so there is some fishing areas to explore not too far away. I reckon I could just cruise around like Sean perhaps fish on occasion. Her mum is ok with it but of course neither of us want to see our baby lose weight owing to blood loss from bugs and man the black flies can be mean here.

I will let you know how I do.

Dan

#6 ·
Well I am off paternity leave now. I did not manage to fish even once with the baby because I chickened out. I would not want to wade with her in the baby backpack and I am such a bushwacker that I am sure she would have had too many branches in the face. I did drive around and found some new places and checked out others that looked promising on topographic maps. I also bought a GPS and it helped me to find closest points to the road etc. Flies weren't so bad this year at all. It has been a cool spring and summer and I guess that is why.

Anyway, if anyone else has some time with their baby I recommend maps, GPS and drive around and check out promising spots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.