Fly Fishing Forum banner

Glue gun eggs

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Jere Eshelman 
#1 ·
I do not think this is fly tying but i made up some hot glue gun eggs and they look great. The rainbows have started to spawn out here so I took some of these eggs down to the south platte yesterday. After fooling around to get the depth and weight correct I started catching fish. I landed 10 browns, 4 suckers and a rainbow before the wind started howling through the canyon and put the fish down. I probably lost just as many fish as well. Give these "flies" a try, they are much easier to tie that yarn eggs.

#5 ·
John, I caught those fish on a red egg about 300yards upstream from the Honey Hole where I sent you last year. They were hanging out in a small plunge pool that might funnel the food into a concentrated place. It is in a pretty steep part of the canyon where it is dark most of the day so they might feel safe there as well. We also fished the Dream Stream in south park and caught fish with orange, yellow and light green eggs.

#9 ·
Brad,

Flytyers are resourceful people and we will eventually figure out what to use for these 'glue gun eggs'. The samples at flytyersdungeon.com look great. But I didn't see any materials listed.

I checked the local craft stores yesterday and the colored glues were opaque.

You have caught our curiosity. What materials have you used and what are its availability?

Thanks for the contribution.

Barry

#10 ·
I must be missing something here. I thought fly fishing was trying to imitate the natural food the fish eat made with feathers,yarn,thread. That you cast with your fly line. By using eggs made wih hot glue,it sounds like you are fishing with gear instead of a fly. Jim S.:tsk_tsk:

#11 ·
Of Fur & Feathers

I can remember the debate with my Dad about what constitutes a fly. His view was that it is fur & feathers ONLY. So I asked him abouth the thread (nylon in those days).
And then we got into it about using synthetic's, like rubber legs on hoppers and the proverbial Bitch Creek Nymph.
Then it got really hot when I started using wire, like copper and exotic fibres like antron, would you believe.
But the best came when we got into full sink lines Vs. the traditional dry line....
That was almost 40 years ago when we started to actively debate the issue of What is Fly Fishing?..... What is a fly?
I guess the issue will never really go away. It is a great subject for reasoned debate and as long as it stays that way, everyone can learn from someone else's opinion. I still have and occasionaly use his split cane rod and treasure the memories of our debates and occasional arguments. I only wish he was still around, we could really go at it today with high modulus graphite, $1200 rods & reels, and more exotic tying materials.
For me, as long as the line is pulling and pushing the fly, not the fly pulling the line, it's fly fishing.
A Fly is any reasonable imitation of pescatorial food, and includes attractors that may not imitate food but serve to trigger the feeding or aggression response, tied, spun, twisted, wrapped etc. onto to a hook but not mechanically attached like to a swivel with a split ring. I only draw the line, pardon the pun, when it comes to attaching spinning blades and other such accoutrements, even if cast by the line. But I have no problems with people who do so.
Can we get an reasoned debate going?

#12 ·
Pete, very well said indeed. I do not want to get into a debate over what constitutes a true fly. I know that everyone would agree that the natural fur and feather flies are more aesthetically pleasing than a glob of glue on a hook. However, trout are opportunistic and will eat whatever is abundant at the time. I like to catch fish so I have become opportunistic as well. I would love to fish dry flies cast with a cane pole to rising fish in a spring creek but the reality is that that just cannot happen very often. I have adapted my fishing to the conditions around me and if a new pattern comes to me that closely imitates a trout's food I use it. By the way, I found the glue sticks at the fly shop. They are distrubuted by Hareline Dubbin. I found that if you heat the hook by touching it to the tip of the gun before squeezing out the glue, the egg sticks better to the hook. The sticks are opaque but when heated form an absolutely clear egg.

Brad

#13 ·
Pete, you've made an excellent summary. If we were to use the true original definition of a fly, not only would it be constructed of natural materials, but it would only imitate insects. Therefore, even a streamer that's made of natural materials would not be considered a fly because it imitates a baitfish and not an insect.

FWIW, there's just too many patterns out there today that use some sort of synthetics to be ignored. My striper and bluefish boxes have several patterns that are constructed entirely of synthetics, and such flies would probably make Halford and Skues roll over in their respective graves. But that doesn't stop me from using them. And I have no problems with people who think otherwise. To each his own.

#14 ·
Jeez guys I'm sorry I opened my mouth and said anything. I guess that you can use anything as long as you can cast it with your line.

As for spinners. In the latest issue of Northwest fly fishing,there is a fly in there that uses a propeller. To me that is just like a spinner.

Well I guess that it's just me. I like to dry fly fish any chance I get.

#15 ·
Hey guys - one of my favorite flies used to be the "garden hackle". The materials are easy to get, dig em up in your garden. slide on the hook and take a few wraps around the shank, finish with a short tail of material extending approximately 2 hook lenghts. Fish on a dead drift. Another favorite is the "stay puff". Colored marshmellows - you pick the color. No head cement required!

Really though, shouldn't a fly have at least some fur or feathers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.