Fly Fishing Forum banner

PVC Rod Case

13K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  JDJones 
#1 ·
I got an idea from a magazine to use PVC pipe and cap it at both ends for a cheap homemade rod case. The case is very durable. Today I was trying to get to an area on the Pepacton Resevior that looked like I could flu cast from shore. Since I had not been down to that section before, I took the wrong way in. I had to climb along side of a very steep bank and at a few points actually have to use the fly case as a walking stick. I reached a point where I had to climb verifaclly for a few feet, so I tossed the case to the top so I could use both hands. The heard the case rolling followed by a splash. Lucky for me one of the other advantages of the PVC rod case is that it floats! :eek:

#5 ·
The PVC works slick, however I found one other adjustment that is important if you fly. Drill one or two holes in the side so that it maintains similar air pressure. I found this out the hard way after spending an hour trying to spin off the cap after a flight to the Keys

#6 ·
#8 ·
worstcaster said:
I got an idea from a magazine to use PVC pipe and cap it at both ends for a cheap homemade rod case. The case is very durable. Today I was trying to get to an area on the Pepacton Resevior that looked like I could flu cast from shore. Since I had not been down to that section before, I took the wrong way in. I had to climb along side of a very steep bank and at a few points actually have to use the fly case as a walking stick. I reached a point where I had to climb verifaclly for a few feet, so I tossed the case to the top so I could use both hands. The heard the case rolling followed by a splash. Lucky for me one of the other advantages of the PVC rod case is that it floats! :eek:
I've been using them for years. They work great including on two russian trips. Of course the airlines again managed to lose the case on return from my recent trip to Russia. This is the third time the airlines have lost my rods on a fly away fishing vacation and last I heard they want to send them from JFK back to Sweden - unbelievable. Couple that with all the other hassles they've put me through over the years and it sometimes makes me wonder if these trips are worth it. Airline hassle could be a thread in itself.

#9 ·
I'm no plumber but I noticed some PVC is light and thin yet durable while other stuff weighs a ton.

Is the thin PVC found in my local hardware store or is it from an application where the general public doesn't get to buy it without special ordering?

#10 ·
PVC rod tubes

There are several types of PVC tubing/pipe. It is designated by a schedule #, (i.e. sched 20, sched 40, etc.,.). The higher the # the thicker the pipe wall and heavier the pipe. The O.D of all is the same thus the ID of the pipe decreases as the schedule # increase. I believe most rod tube are made of Schedule 20 material.Usually it is the heavier stuff (sched 80) that is not readily available except at plumbing supply house.

#11 ·
The thin stuff

juro said:
I'm no plumber but I noticed some PVC is light and thin yet durable while other stuff weighs a ton.

Is the thin PVC found in my local hardware store or is it from an application where the general public doesn't get to buy it without special ordering?
The thin, but strong stuff, could be coretex (sp) or something like that. It is drain pipe, usually 4" diameter, white on the outside, black on the inside, bell mouthed at one end. All the fittings are available as well as solvent, usually at your local building supply house. This stuff will make a rod case capable of holding three or four rods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.