Fly Fishing Forum banner

Being a Dad is Such A BLAST!!!

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Nate Bailey 
#1 ·
Will, my 5 year old had a pretty good day on the river today. I dunno seeing the pictures just kind of gave me a warm fuzzy and I thought I'd share them with the forum.

Will's 20" Brown

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes John, there is something special about fishing with kids. I was reminded of it yesterday when my 6 yr old caught a crab. I was thinking thats not too exciting when my son go's dad I caught it all by my self in amazement at what he had done. May we alll have many more days enjoying our hobby with our children.

By the way those are a couple of nice fish.

#5 ·
I've caught tarpon less exciting

I do not posess the words to tell you how much fun that was. I was a nervous wreck watching him play those fish. He basically collapsed after landing each one of them. A few minutes after the 2nd fish he said "Daddy it's been a good day, I'm ready to go home". Poor little guy was worn out. As soon as we got home he had to call Grandad to tell him all about his 2 big fish.

I just thought it was pretty cool is all. Like watching a guy double haul on a fall colored day, seeing a tarpon take to the air, or having a monster trout slowly rise to take a dry. It was just one of those fishing experiences that I am sure I will never forget.

John

#6 ·
FlyFishAR, being with the kid is such a wonderful experience.

Just on a side note, I thought I would add my 'kid fishing tale' for the weekend...

We were getting ready to go home from the grandparents house, and were packing our stuff. Well, Georgia decided that it wasn't quite time to go. She grabbed my little spinning rod I had leaning in the corner, and dragged it out of the garage.

I just laughed and let her go (figuring that she would go show mom and tell her about our fishing trip the day before.) Well, when I turn around, she is across the driveway, down the hill and into the pasture on her way to the river. She still has the old rod by the handle and is planning on going to catch some fish...

If you can picture a two year old girl walking across a field with a pole dragging behind her, you can understand how I felt when I saw her.

I think she is, umm, hooked on the sport already... :D

BTW, those are some beautiful fish your son caught. I wish I could get fish like that!

#7 ·
To be fair..........it should go without saying that I had him in a "Honey Hole". A C&R area where the fish see plenty of human traffic so they are not at all spooky. He can still only fish about 10 feet away. Poor little guy almost had a coranary from the cutthroat. I was begining to wonder who caught who. Notice the soaked T-shirt from where he fell in. ;)

John

#10 ·
I took Will and one of his little fishing buddies again this weekend. They decided that this trip they wanted to do everything thing their own. The first picture was the last fish they caught. The 5 year old fighting the fish and the 8 year old trying to net it. The 5 year old got his line tangled, dropped the rod, reeled backwards for the first 15 feet, you name it. The 8 year old made about 10 passes with the net, even let the fish swim between his legs before he netted it. In the end they got lucky, and I needed nerve pills.

Fishing buddies

Attachments

#12 ·
great stuff, fellow fathers!

my oldest is 2 and a bit, and of course all the relatives bought him those little plastic fishing rods (not to be confused with the big plastic fishing rods his daddy spends the save-for-college funds on! :eek: ), and of course he plays with them from time to time. But the best thing that has happened yet was the other day when he walked up to the television set and instead of asking for Barney or Donald Duck, he said "Daddy, fishing?"--he wanted me to watch one of my Lani Waller tapes with him.

He'll be outfishing me in no time.

#13 ·
I love being a dad!

I had been trying for the past several years to get my son, now 14, to try his hand at fly-fishing. He wasn't the least interested. Being a loving dad, I gave him some room while trying new approaches to inspire him. A distant post by KerryS on another forum set us on the right course when he dropped the name of a local lake to try. The boy, er young man, met with great success and we tried it again the following week. Overall, son 5, dad 0, and all very nice trout.

I just got his new St. Croix 5 wt. from the Brown Truck and rigged-up his new line on my spare Tioga and the guy is GONE! While I'm rigging he is donning the waders and vest. Made him take the Motorola Talkabout so I'll at least be able to hear from him this summer:chuckle: .

BTW, he met Mr. Steelhead last week; it was a very brief encounter. He said he almost peed his pants when the rod bent over and the reel started screaming. It seems that the young man, at least, is firmly hooked!

ws

#14 ·
Watersprite:

I can remember being about 8 and my dad telling me about the "big one" that lived in the river. For the rest of the day everything I had hooked up was "the monster". I was so paniced everytime I had a take. I never did hook the monster but all this talk of fishing with dad sure does bring back memories.

John

#15 ·
great thred
Ihave 3 boys 9, 6, and 8 months old
they all have fly rods the oldest has a great time, the 6year old has fun for a while then its off to explore the stream side, the youngest likes to ride on dads back in the kid pack. they go with me every where......Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.