Fly Fishing Forum banner

Petite Cascapedia

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 · (Edited)
We just got back to St Rene de Matane after a day and a half of fishing the Petite Cascapedia. I employed the services of David Bishop as my guide and was glad I did. Besides being great company to my wife and myself, David is a superb fisherman and guide, and put me through much shame watching him spey cast 90 feet with no effort. We will fish together again, perhaps here on the Matane as well as his river.

The Petite Cascapedia is a beautiful and intimate river, with water that is crystal clear with a green tint.....as are many of the Gaspesie rivers. Floating it in David's canoe was an experience that my wife and I will never forget. The beauty of the spruce mountains and river with water resembling the tropics was very breath taking. We saw many fish....some quite large. But with the very hot weather and perhaps most of the fish on the stale side, we had no takers on that first cruise. But we did fish over at least 30 - 40 fish and had a few half hearted rises. Our concentration that day was to relax, get to know the river and the valley, and to be considerate to my wife. If anyone wants to take their wives on a day or two float trip down a beautiful river, David is your man.

The next morning David and I went solo to two of his favorite holes. The first hole held many "jumpers" and much movement, yet no takers. In his second spot, his little secret, I hooked up with a nice 10 pounder, which I tailed while David took pictures. We left the river early because we wanted to spend the rest of the day socializing and being considerate...... as most of us fish crazy lunitics do not do most of the time. I look at it this way. I've been up here for over a month, and must share this time accordingly. Fishing and catching is not everything.

So for the month, I landed three salmon and one grilse on the Matane and lost a monster in early season, 2 grilse on the York, and one salmon on the Petite. The biggest salmon this season so far was around 16 - 18 pounds, three were 10 - 13, and three were good sized grilse.

I enclosed some pics that David took on the Petite of me. as well as my own shots of my wife fashionably showing off on the river and getting a casting lesson from David, as well as David seeking the big one. We saw many fish.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I went through St Edgar on Tuesday, July 24th. The water was really high. There was an excavator placing Rip Rap above the bridge there. (in the River) There was no distinction in the river that would show you the pools. A virtual flood. Middlebrook for instance above the bridge could not be distinguished. ONE LONG RAPID. You did well to Hire David. He is one of the best. Even if he has used "Big Black Wooly Buggers". in the distant past!! :chuckle: Best to You too Dave! I would fish the Petite as I used to do fairly frequently if I could. Even at Double the resident rate it is a beautiful River!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.