Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yakkin' the Essex

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
As an extension to the Annisquam project:

Picture this... drop the yak in Essex, paddle out to the estuary on the drop, hitting the bars and shoals in the estuary working out to the inlet. Take a break during slack minus low for a drink and a light lunch out on the beach around the corner from Cranes.

Ride the flood over the various shoals as it surges in, moving from spot to spot until you're ready for a cold beer and bucket of steamers at Woodman's.

The question is, would the shoals and bars be exposed enough to pull up a kayak during low tide?

http://coast.mit.edu/draw-ortho.cgi?image=265934

#3 ·
Do you mean the big sand bar / island about 1/2 mile to the right from the entrance point? It was there last summer and big enough so that a dozen boats had anchored up to it for a private beach area away from the Crane's crowd.

I liked the look of it except for all the boats. I'll bet an early morning sortie would be very productive there.

#4 ·
That's the one and it is productive in the early morning. There are some serious dropoffs out there. That whole area is a flurry of activity when the light is low. The only problem is getting out there when Crane's and PI are closed, they only open at dawn. I suppose you could launch down the Ipswich a ways, the tide better be outgoing though.

#5 ·
Juro,
I know a spot off of Concord St. in West Gloucester that goes down to the marsh close to '"The Spit" in the Essex River. It's one of those practically "unknown" public right-of-ways. (I wouldn't want to lug my tandem kayak without help.) Parking for one car. Email if you want info.
Doug B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.