Fly Fishing Forum banner

RI Results

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  FlyFishMich 
#1 ·
Kathy and I were in Western RI for a few days this week (9/13 - 9/16). I managed to get in a good amount of fishing time and had pretty good results.

On the first day I hooked and landed my first flyrod FA. What a rush! I've caught plenty of stripers and blues over 30" but that was the first time I've had more than the first couple feet of backing off the spool! I hadn't tightened the drag after stripping out the line to cast, so I rattled my knuckles on the reel handle a few times while trying to keep the spool from over-spinning as I tightened the drag :Eyecrazy: . I got that fish off the outside of the west jetty at Weekapaug. Later that day I found loads of stripers along the beach at Napatree. Caught a few by sight-casting and blind-casting but spooked many more than I hooked. Saw some hardtails right in the wash a few times but didn't hook up with them.

On Tuesday I started at Napatree at first light and soon found myself chasing breaking fish up and down the beach. I finally managed to intercept them and hooked/landed my second flyrod albie. While I was battling that fish, the rest of school continued to thrash the bait right in front of me for at least a minute before moving down the beach. Of course they were gone by the time I landed my fish :rolleyes: . It was a blast fighting the albie from the beach without any rocks or other fishing lines to worry about! The albies didn't come close again but the stripers kept me busy for a couple more hours before I had to leave.

No albies for me on the last 2 days, although I did see some that were well out of casting range and had a couple of close encounters without any real shots at them. Had to work for a couple more stripers each day. There were plenty of fish around I just couldn't seem to connect.

Both of the albies and one of the bass were caught on an olive/white superhair epoxy fly. All the other bass fell for a small yellowish-brown/white bucktail epoxy fly dragged along the bottom. That fly was already shredded when I started using it this week and soon there were only a few strands of bucktail and flash left extending beyond the epoxy. It actually looked more like a shrimp than a minnow and I wondered if that was the reason for its success. I tried other flies but kept going back to the shredded fly because it was the only one that seemed to work. I think I'll retire that fly and use it as a model for some new flies.

Well, back to work on Monday :frown: . Hmm . . . maybe I can squeeze in a day trip on Sunday :lildevl: .

Q

See less See more
#3 ·
RI Fishing

:) Quentin, Glad to hear that you hit them pretty good in RI. You and I both know that the South Shore of RI has some excellent fishing. I posted about the opportunities available in Southern RI back on Sept.9 right on this board. I guess very few people believe me I guess. :hihi: I personally can't see a ride to the cape, to catch a couple of fish when without the cape traffic you can get into fish this time of the year within 50 feet of where you park your auto. :tsk_tsk: Napatree being the exception, walk a mile or more to catch fish. Sure wish I could have been there with you Quentin. Did you stop at my son's shop and see his mounted 50 lber? I f you didn't stop the next time.

#4 ·
Q,
Nice work! Great report. I got dr's clearance to head out and fish, I think I'm going to try the Misq. Weekapaug area tommorow morning. Hopefully find some fish around and the surf somewhat calm...

Nick

#5 ·
Quentin,

That post has my blood flowing! I think it's hooky mid-week for me and I'm headed to Rhody. Probably head down early Wednesday morning, or my drive down on Tuesday night. Any one interested in hooking up, let me know. Terry, you up for it - a chance to break the doldrums of the North Shore.

Anyone got a spot that's reasonably priced for a night to crash, if I do head down on Tueday night?

I'll post after the trip and you all know how it goes.

TL,

Dave

#8 ·
"<<hadn't tightened the drag after stripping out the line to cast, so I rattled my knuckles on the reel handle a few times while trying to keep the spool from over-spinning as I tightened the drag>>"

Been there Done That -- But it's a Good Kind of Pain!!

"<<Both of the albies and one of the bass were caught on an olive/white superhair epoxy fly.>>"

That's why Bob Pop. calls 'em "Candy" -- Easy fly to cast & they really eat'em Up!!

#9 ·
Thanks guys! I went back to Napatree on Sunday and spent the day casting at bass. Great fishing conditions and lots of fish but not much success. I probably saw more than 100 stripers along the beach but only hooked two and landed one (~ 28"). The albies made a few brief showings but I didn't get any good casts at them.

Art - I didn't go to your son's shop but I'll make a point to stop in the next time I'm down there. Soon, I hope! When I was at the rocks at Napatree I was thinking about the time I saw you down there -- that was the day you took the photo you just posted showing the bass blitzing all around the rocks. That was a great day! :biggrin:

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.