Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beulah Surf Rod???

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  petevicar 
#1 ·
Which of these rods would be better for ocean surf the 8/9 or the 9/10 wt? I plan on throwing large flies 7 - 12 inch at least 100+ feet out in the ocean surf.

Also what lines match up with these rods? I would've bought the Airflo Beach line but they stopped making it 2 years ago. Has anyone tried the 40+ expert line? How about using Rio AFS heads or the Outbound used for Spey rods? What Airflo or Rio lines should I match with these rods?

#2 ·
Stan...I have a Beulah Blue Water Series (not surf rod 10/11wt) and love it. Obviously not their new surf series.
Your question is best answered by calling the company directly. I called them re lining my rod and their recommendation was 10wt for a fast sink and 11 wt for intermediate line.....their recommendations were spot on! Plus, they welcomed the call.
If the surf rods are anything like the blue water series....it is really a 10wt for the upper 2/3rds of the rod and 11wt butt section. All their rods are extreme fast action rods....they throw flies like a bullet.
Give them a call....I spoke at length with the CEO at the Bears Den fly show.....they are very eager to market their rods on the east coast....appear to be really nice folks and eager to consult.
Ron

#3 ·
I think either of those two will work well. I use the 9/10 and love it. I use the old Beach line that I have had for awhile with it and also use the original Rio Outbound with it. I know some, I think including Juro, have mentioned even using an OB Short with one. Beulah was working on its own line (actually a head) for that series, and I have a prototype that I'll be bringing with me when I head to Cape Cod in June. While lawn casting it works well so I'll have to see if it works that nicely on the water. The larger the flies you throw and the more often you fish in heavy wind will determine whether you'll prefer the 8/9 or 9/10. Bigger flies and heavy wind are easier to deal with when using a 9/10, but the truth is there isn't all that much difference between those two.

#4 ·
For what you are talking about, definitely the 9/10; if they made a 10/11 Surf, I'd say get that.
I've briefly cast both the 8/9 and the 9/10 Surfs. I have their 10/11 Switch (10'6"); some time I'd like to cast that alongside a 9/10 Surf.

#6 ·
vtloon said:
For what you are talking about, definitely the 9/10; if they made a 10/11 Surf, I'd say get that.
I've briefly cast both the 8/9 and the 9/10 Surfs. I have their 10/11 Switch (10'6"); some time I'd like to cast that alongside a 9/10 Surf.
Your 10/11 Switch must be a prototype as I've been a Beulah dealer for a few years now and they've never listed a 10/11 Switch rod that I can recall.

#7 ·
Does anyone know if there is an 11ft 5 piece switch rod available from somewhere.
I tried an 11ft Beulah last year on the Cape and was much impressed.
However I need a rod that will fit into my suitcase like a 4pc 9ft rod.
I suppose a similar proportioned 5 piece rod would be 11ft 3in.

#8 ·
Pete- out of curiousity I did a quick research scan of what the "major" rod vendors had to offer that met your requirements- only thing I could find is that TFO produces a "conversion kit" to convert a 9' 4pc 7 or 8 wt TiCrX rod (which has to be purchased separately from the "conversion kit") into an 11'3" 5pc 7/8 wt switch rod. Sounds like it would be suitable for most small to medium size fish (ie salmon, reds, snook, schoolie stripers). The TiCrX rod is about $250, and the "conversion kit" would be another $150- total about $400 (plus tax, S/H).
Hope this helps.
Flydoc

#10 ·
Pete, I have the TFO 8wt TicrX and the conversion setup that FlyDoc referred to. Just measured the tubes that they pack in.... fly rod 32 1/2", 2-Hand extension 31 1/2". I will have the rod with me at the Striper Clave ,May 21-22-23 and you are welcome to try it. If we miss then, let me know when and for how long you expect to be here and we can make arrangements to meet. Look forward to seeing you.

Pete Readel
PopnestBay

#13 ·
petevicar said:
Does anyone know if there is an 11ft 5 piece switch rod available from somewhere.
I tried an 11ft Beulah last year on the Cape and was much impressed.
However I need a rod that will fit into my suitcase like a 4pc 9ft rod.
I suppose a similar proportioned 5 piece rod would be 11ft 3in.

I had Bob Meiser build one of his 5 piece 9/10 wt switch rods for me. It is 10 ft 6 in. It is an outstanding rod. Check his site.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.