Fly Fishing Forum banner

favorite stillwater fly

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  TerryD 
#1 ·
what is your favorite stillwater fly i don't fish too much stillwater so i am not very experienced in the field so i figured i'd ask you guys

#4 ·
Without question - the chironomid. Chironomids are day in day out, ice-off until ice-up available to still water trout. While they are the first heavy hatch of the spring they continue to be a staple on the trout's menu right through the season. It is rare indeed to sample stomach contents of a still water trout and not find the predominant content chironomids.

#8 · (Edited)
Still water

As mentioned the WB is the best "blind" fly for still water well any water:hehe:
In Manitoba fly fishing is heavily based in lakes and ponds so we have some experience.
Don't worry about hatchs unless it is co-insiding with rising fish but................. those rising fish could be small trout or bait fish. So i usually fish a hatch with a WB, damsel/dragon or streamer. Why? because the bigger fish may be there to take an unwary minnow may be feeding on the hatch but are willing to take another "opportunity" fly.
As we say in lake fly fishing
"Longer fish longer season":eyecrazy:

#10 ·
Favourite Vs. Most Productive

My fav still water fly is a Caddis. In many shapes & sizes & colors etc. I just love seeing it float along with a little wind drift and then it disapears either with a sip or a huge splash, if at all.
Most productive?
I have to agree with Kush, chironomids forever. I now use these extensively but cannot recall using them that much when I was back east (Quebec, Vermont, Maine, NH, Ontario) . Out west (BC & Alberta & Montana & Washington) I would never go to still water without a large selection of Chiro's.
Any other eastern transplants to the west have similar experiences?

#11 ·
East to West

My biggest problem with chroni fishing is staying awake;)
So i don't find it too productive.
But that is me but and we all know we should fish what we fish with confidence!
I used to live in southern Ontario now, as the signature says, I live in Manitoba. It depends who you ask whether I'm in the west now:hehe:

#12 ·
Chironomids would be my first choice. The fish will almost always be willing to suck in a chironomid no matter the time of year. A close second would be leechy type flys. They a imitate a variety of food forms . Just vary the color size of each and your good to go.

BWO

G
#14 · (Edited)
No doubt about it, my favorite stillwater fly is a laquered mini-leech, size 10 - 12 in black or purple. Three coats of nail polish with varying degree of sparkle flakes makes for a really cool looking bugger, all shiny and all.

Question: Is such a hard body a sacrilege?

mmm

P.S. It's got a marabou tail - just can't get away from the marabou.:chuckle:

#15 ·
Birds Nest

I know everyone loves the chironomid or Woolley buggers, but I am not a fan of bobber and trolling flies. If I could only fish one fly it would be the birds nest in different color shades and sizes. It is one of those cover all type patterns and I have confidence with it:hehe:

my two cents.

Terryd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.