Fly Fishing Forum banner

3 wt sight fishing

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jared 
#1 ·
Water temps have lowered a bit in these parts so I took the evening to fish a new part of a local river. Water levels are still on the low side, so the pools had hardly any current to speak of which translated into tough fishing. After ninety minutes I finally caught my first brown of the evening on a size 20 cream caddis pupae. The takes were very subtle, so I relied on seeing the fish take the fly. There was no surface activity, even at dark as I left.

After a few more hours I had tallied two browns and two bonus smallmouths that absolutely freaked out the trout in the pools once they vaulted into the air upon feeling the hook. The fishing was tough, but each fish taken was a true accomplishment and a refreshing break from the largemouths that I've been slugging it out with lately. Small flies and tiny tippets.....:eyecrazy:

Variety is the spice of life, n'est-ce pas? :)

#3 ·
Nice report, Mark.

Variety is indeed the spice of life. This afternoon I'll be throwing midges on 8x with my 4 weight and around 8:15 tomorrow morning I'll be chucking real eels on a 10 weight line. They are both forms of flyfishing but totally different games :rolleyes:

Lovin' living in Massachusetts these days...

Plus, I figured I'd better build myself up with a few Swift River rainbows tonight to prepare for many refusals tomorrow :devil:

BigD

#4 ·
You know it's the dog days when people go fish for trout to prepare for striper refusals!

Dog days are almost over... bunker should be converging any minute on the south side if not already, they are choking Rhody bays right now.

Good time to think hardtails as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.