Fly Fishing Forum banner

Squid, squid and more squid...fb

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
As rod Serling used to say on Twilight Zone"Submitted for your approval". What ya think John?
Had a nice pic of Sean Mcdermott into fish but I couldn`t get it under 30k and still see it.
Slinger

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Steve... are those hackle feathers for the mantals... if they are they sure look great... They will move nicely in the water... not too much but enough to create a breathing movement... Great job Steve... Save me one of those to look at closely... Thanks

#3 ·
Been toying with these since I saw yours back in Jan. Used a 34011 3/0 hook with spreaders front and back. Tail is ultra hair and six junk saddles mixed with a few strands of pink ostrich herl. Both spreaders are overlaid with a few strands of ostrich and then six saddles are gooped in place. the pink bleeds thru the white saddles and gives a beautiful hue.
Slinger

#6 · (Edited)
John et al,

Have you guys seen the Intruders? This is one of the legendary and until recently secret steelhead patterns of the west. Ed Ward designed it to be a squid fly. It has awesome fishing characteristics, movement, shape colour - when you see it in the water you want to bite it.

I will post a couple of different shots, bear in mind the colours are interchangeable, it could use some eyes in a squid-like spot and it is not necessary to tie it as a tube (Ed doesn't, I do).

#9 ·
Great Point Kush!

After fishing with Mr.Ward a few years back I tied several calimari variations on tubes that are essentially intruders in construction.

They differed in that the hook was tied up front with the plastic tube coming off the bend of the hook backwards, upon which most of the mantle and tentacles were tied. Stripers can be caught on a 12" fly with a 1" hook as long as it's up front.

I also used a pair of large diameter ultralight aluminum eyes at the base of the legs because stripers respond to eyes on flies well.

Attachments

#10 ·
Tyler and Juro... great Calamari.. Kush..do you have directions for that fly... I was going to try it this spring in small sizes.Also I have never tied with tubes... I wonder if I Should.. is there a reference on nwhere to tye tube flies... I don't see many for saltwater... does anyone know why???????

#11 ·
It's common to tie tubes for saltwater coho salmon, been happening for decades - there are books but not of the glossy mainstream variety. They are the ones you find on the back shelf of Puget Sound area fly shops, etc.

I might have one but it's pretty straight forward. Better yet, we should start a detailed instruction page here on the Forum.

#12 ·
I'd like to see such a page; I'm intrigued by some of the patterns I've been seeing posted by Kush. Not only an instructional, but also where the materials might be purchased... sponsors first, of course. I don't think that anyone in my locale fishes with tube flies, and so don't expect any of the local shops to carry the tubes.

#13 ·
Striblue,

The details of the Intruder can be found in the Winter 2002 issue of Fish and Fly Magazine. They are quite detailed as while the fly is not difficult to tie, it is labour intensive. This fly is tied by its originator - Ed Ward as a "shank" fly - for a lack of a better term, one could best see how it is done from the magazine. I tie it as a tube, as I find it quite a bit easier.

I do believe in its original form Ed tied it as a regular hooked fly.

If you can't find a copy of that magazine - let me know and I'll come up with a version of the instructions for you.

#16 ·
John,

There is a tube fly bible, it is "Tube Flies" by Mark Mandell and Les Johnson, Frank Amato Publications. It is an excellent resource for tube flies, how to tie them, numerous patterns, both fresh and saltwater. It is worth a look.

#17 ·
Found that book on Amazon for under $26. I think there are several more available at a similar price for anyone else interested. This is probably the start of yet another tying addiction, but oh well, there are worse things I could be addicted to... besides Guinness, of course... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.