Fly Fishing Forum banner

No. New England mixed bag 6/1

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
Fished the Winooski river right in the town of Winooski on Sunday in the constant drizzle. Gusty winds, too. And surprisingly, lots of people were out in the crappy weather, too. It was opening day on this stretch of river. I got several bass on clousers and wooly buggers. Most were 12-13", but got one that went probably 3#. Great fighters.

I also ran into Mr. Pike unexpectedly. While stripping my WB, I had a big 'swoosh' not 3 feet from the bank. I pulled back and saw that it was mr. pike. Two seconds later, my 3x was broken. Thinking it was a fluke, I tied on another bugger. I cast out, stripped to shore - and swoosh! Didn't even get a chance to feel him before the line got sliced.
so now I am frantically searching for wire. NO WIRE! I smacked myself a few times, then finally found a bluefish fly tied well back on the shank. Cast out twice, and on the second cast, right next to shore I was on. He cleared the water and chugged around before beaching himself at my feet. I'd guess 28-30". Hoo boy!

I also saw some walleye and suckers, carp, etc. Lots of life down there right now on some spawning/spring frenzy action.

#3 ·
yes, smallmouths they were. The smallmouth fishing has been very good up here, and I hear it is the same on lakes and streams throughout New England. let me know if you are up this way...
Many B.A.S.S. guys think Champlain has some of the finest smallmouth fishing in the country.

#4 ·
Not only does Lake Champlain have some of the world's best bass fishing, it also contains one of the largest infestations of Eurasian Milfoil in the U.S. It is illegal in many states to transport exotics; e.g., non-native aquatic weeds, mollusks, etc., from an affected body of water to another non-affected site within or without the state boundary.

Please know and obey the laws in the respective states you trailer and launch your boat in. You may jeopardize or infect a clean body of water by your actions or lack thereof.

#7 ·
JD - I think that would more than do it. I believe the signs around the inland ponds around here say to hose-off and sun-dry your boat or equipment for at least 3 days. I guess that would go for wading shoes, etc., too. Of course, some of us go fishing more frequently than every 3 days:D , so maybe the bleach would be a good idea then. But I wonder if having a lot of bleach around isn't another problem altogether...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.