Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reviving Popper discussion

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  saltydog 
#1 ·
Any ideas from you guys as to comming up with new popper designs... Here are some I did last year and am trying to improve on them... what ideas are out there.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Mark.. in late august I was off south beach in a boat and had luck with the big Banger and the mack imitation.... But only Blues grabbed it. But that's usually the case... at least it was that day... Blues will grab anything...Actually the epoxy applications held up well as oppose to the end result of a popper without the extra surface.

#5 ·
No new ideas...but I have gone almost exclusively to crease flies and gurglers over the more wind-resistant popper. Primarily becuase they're easier to cast and don't twist the line as badly.

Maybe you could apply some of your epoxy-over-feathers technique for natural coloration on these popper "variations"?

Just a thought....I like the idea of a jointed model as well...

#8 ·
Rich, bueatiful... looks deadly... to humans that is... looks like nonchucks (sp).... anyway... great original idea... I am now thinking of that in thinner segments with feathers epoxied in ... what do you think?????

#10 ·
DOC, IT'S NOT a fly to cast, best used from a boat, let out , an strip in, it is snakieee in the water if you swim it slow, if you POP IT , it has a lot of drag an makes a lot of comotionif you do one as striblue intends to do, w/ small foam ,it WILL give you better action an you can have some fun w/ it. you can use heavy mono or wire threw the foam. ;)

P.S. Ill post the HAMMERHEAD LATER this weekend when I come back.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.