Fly Fishing Forum banner

Great paddling weather

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
On Saturday which I missed.

But, I was fortunate enough to head out with the Penguin yesterday. Good company, great weather, clear water, light rain & heavy wind but flat seas on the way home.

We should do this more often now that the weather is clearing up.

#2 · (Edited)
...Jeff looked good in his MINI-SKIRT?!...

The Roopmeister and I discovered that a "conditioning" program might be in order...a little pre-season training goes a long way!
...Also...Jeff was in a Manteo and I chased him around in a Pungo. We both were dressed for a "dumping" (which did not happen) and we were using using the easier to deal with "mini-(spray)skirt"...
...by the way...EMS (Hyannis only) has four more Pungo mini-skirts on sale for $6. and that's a DEAL! They work well and are MUCH easier to deal with than the full spray skirt!

It was good to get back on the water and while we did get a line wet, we were not able to get it "stretched"...

p.s.
Amanda (the 99)...you tend bar very well...I hope you do great in you pre-med classes...and if all else fails...I want to have your children!!!

#4 ·
...After touring the "bunker" and gearing up at Area 61 we put in at Seagull Beach/Parkers and paddled up the coast over to the Bass River...tried to drown a few flies but started a backtrack once the cold wind picked up. (sissy-boys!)
Frontal passage brought wind, rain, and a significant drop in temps...
Despite the cold, it was nice to get out...'could be a very interesting transition for this slightly handicapped, moderately decorated, freshly retired old fart war veteran!

John...Just call and you too can experience frozen fingers...
...glacier gloves a plus!

In two weeks (wx permitting) I plan on a Big Girl sortie...

#6 ·
Fred...That's like asking Ahab....'Seen any white whales?
As long as I don't reach for stuff off the "top shelf" it's not bad...
But I'm retired now and those pesky pains are part of the deal...
I can relate to all the "celebrex" commercials...and may soon shoot my TV!...

Any time you want to get a paddle wet, let me know!

#7 ·
As nuts as I now firmly believe you both are.........you're making me wish I already had my new 'yak.

How far was that paddle, for the geographically challenged in the crowd?

Did you have the optional ice-breaker bows installed on those WS kayaks?

~Mark Doogue

#8 ·
...As anyone who paid close attention last year would have noticed...the titanium "ice-breaker-paddle- leading-edge-inserts" really do a nice job...Damn the icebergs...full speed ahead!
...Distance covered was not nearly as important as not having exposed wet skin...Actually, once a rythm was established and a state of Zen entered, the dot on the horizon slowly grew until it was no longer "there" but was now "here"...
...Time goes by fast when you have entered the world of hypothermia!

There is a stable of boats to choose from at Area 61 waiting for YOU!

#9 ·
I hope to be able to join you soon for the maiden voyage of the new WS Tarpon following shake-down trials (boat and paddler!!) under the watchful eye of Ms. Kayak (ACA Instructor) in LI sound during early March.

#10 ·
Adrian...Be sure to ask her to demonstrate the inverted-wet-exit...
Remember...If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger!

p.s.
Don't skimp on the paddle!

#11 ·
Pete

Wet exits are part of the "Quick Start You Kayak" course - fairly intensive 3 hour session where you get very wet . You have to do one unaided in deep (cold!) water to pass. Glad I ordered the dry suit (with relief zipper;))

I plan to try a few paddles before buying one (or two).

#12 ·
What type of paddle do you have Pete?

I'm looking at the Aquabound Expedition AMT in carbon fibre. It is not super light, but the weight to $$$ ratio is the best I could find @ 33 oz. and around $200.

Are those next 6 oz. I could shave off the weight really worth the extra $130?

~Mark
P.S. I keep forgeting that you are accumulating polyethelene watercraft down there in the Area 61 "black ops" hanger.

#13 ·
Hmmm...

Somehow our leading edge profanity sensor went into overload a moment ago but all I could find was some 99's restaurant waitress worship and a kayak maneuver reference :devil:

Carry on...

Penguin said:
Adrian...Be sure to ask her to demonstrate the inverted-wet-exit...
Remember...If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger!

p.s.
Don't skimp on the paddle!

#14 · (Edited)
...a thousand pardons, your Immensenesss!...

...I guess elaboration on the "pros" and "cons" and proper donning/doffing of the full body condom (dry suit) is out of the question...Not to mention the importance of always practicing "Safe Paddling"...

p.s.
Mike...whatever paddle you get, just remember that you will become the best or worst of friends and, in any case, will spend ALOT of time holding hands...
That cost to weight ratio reminds me of going into a bike shop...cheap bikes are heavy and the more you spend the lighter the end result (check out the new Merlins')...but there is a point where titanium, carbon fiber, and technology become cost deminishing and grounds for professional counselling.
That $150-200 cut off is a good compromise...you could spend more but the difference is much harder to rationalize and could be grounds for a "tough love" friends/family confrontation.
Pick up the cheapo, then the reasonably light weight...you will feel the difference in the shop and REALLY feel the difference after a day on the water.

If you get a chance, try out a laminated wooden paddle...they have a good feel and a certain "spring" and warmth that is quite aesthetic.

#15 ·
I'll add my $.02... spend what you need on the paddle. here's my breakdown pungo=$509.00, paddle=$245.00 carbon with glass blade. I have carple tunnel syndrome and consider the money very well spent. I could probably only do a 2 mile trip with a bad paddle( after I'm in shape). I don't try to set any records , but can go alot further than that with a good one. Pete, the wooden paddles are sweet, but aren't able to change to an offset arrangment to ease up on the wrist torque. Tom D

#16 ·
...Almost got a WOODY!...

Tom... I hear ya...A good paddle makes a big difference!
I looked at a descent woody (paddle!...such a filthy mind!..."of or containing wood or wood fibers" Webster's) that had a stainless sleeve and pin that allowed for 3 way feathering offset but the sleeve wasn't quite tight enough and the tiny bit of play would have been annoying. After some rationalization, I went with carbon fiber. NO REGRET...STRAIGHT ACES!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.