Fly Fishing Forum banner

Another newbie

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Possumface 
#1 ·
Howdy!

I actually got started in fly fishing about 15 years ago, when I bought a cabelas 9' 6wt package. Then life got in the way... and the fly gear just sat around all this time.

Now I'm finally at a stage where I can get out and enjoy it a bit. I'll be fishing mostly rivers and streams for trout, bass and panfish. I rented a Mel Krieger video about basic casting and I've been playing around with a little fly tying (very basic).

Anyone have any suggestions for beginners that represent high value and fundamental importance?

Thanks! This forum looks very interesting.

#2 ·
WELCOME!

Geronimo,
Welcome, always good to see new faces here. It's still a bit cold in Minn. right now to get outside and practice the cast, but you know I have had good luck using the neighborhood elementary school gym on eves to practice casting when the weathers bad.
Is there a club that gets together in your area? Or you can call the nearest Trout Unlimited office to get info on clubs and groups. Networking my friend, on the web or by word-of-mouth. Find a fly shop close by and go shoot the breeze for a few on a Saturday. Spring is just around the corner so nows the time to get ready
Hope this helps

Deerhawk

#3 ·
Fundamentals

Welcome aboard,
Here are my thoughts on start-up or re-start... & fundamentals
1- Take a lesson from a certified casting instructor, this will accelerate your learning curve and prevent/minimize many errors that take a long time to correct. It also gives a "base" for other learnings and experimentations. Winter is a good time to do this...
2- Use the gear you have and stick with it for at least 30-60 days of fishing/practice time. It is so tempting to keep changing gear given the vast array of stuff that is out there. Once you have this gear relatively mastered, you can then appreciate the differences that alternatives offer. E.g. until you you get to "feel" the load on your current gear, testing other rods makes little sense.
3- If you only have a floating line, then buy a sinking leader that you can add to the front end of your floating line. This will allow you to learn to cast with a slightly heavier front end and also get down to some of the fish you are targeting. It is also much less expensive than buying another line and spool.
Casting is but 5% of fly fishing, but unless you become reletaviley competent (doing a 35-45 foot cast consistently with a good loop and rod/line load with a dry line) at that part first, the rest will be much more difficult, e.g. presentation, leaders, tippets, line management, specialty casts, etc.
Ditto as well on what DeerHaawk has said.

#4 ·
Hi Geronimo!

Wanna have fun? Get a 4wt! I chase LM bass, bluegills, and crappies with a 4wt. I have the Hobbs Creek combo from Bass Pro Shops in 4wt. The rod is 7' 6", and is a 4pc. With practice, you can get 60 feet casts with it...I do! My combo ran $110, and I have fun everytime I cast it! :)

I can throw 2" bugs with my 4wts. A 4wt will throw bigger flies than you imagine! :razz:

#5 ·
I'd make sure you practice cast with a decent-sized fly so you get used to the wind resistance. Take a #8 Muddler minnow or something similar and clip the hook at the mid-point of the bend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.