Fly Fishing Forum banner

Quebec Atlantics

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JR SPEY 
#1 ·
Anybody ever do the Gaspe thing. I am considering it for next summer. I know about the lottery thing on November 1st. Have any tips on how to do it cheap or rivers that are more promising than others. Also looking for information on were I could fly too and rent a car if thats posible?
Anything will help.
Thanks

#2 ·
I have experience with the ZEC office that serves the St Jean, Dartmouth, and York. I've never bothered with the early drawing. There are always spots available during the 48 hour draw and there's often other water which you can simply sign up for when you contact the ZEC office in advance (like a month or so before you leave). There is also some fine water that is unlimited but is never, in my experience, truly crowded. Give Ann Smith a call at the ZEC office in Gaspe. She's incredibly helpful. You can fly right into the town of Gaspe and rent a car there. I assume that things are similar at other ZEC offices, but I've never dealt with them.

#4 ·
A lot depends on where in each river you end up fishing. For instance, on Zone 1 of the York I was fine with my 14' 9-10 weight. However, when fishing Zone 4 not very far upstream I felt like I had more rod than I needed for the width of the water. The truth is that many pools on each river can probably be very effectively fished with a single-handed rod, but 12 or 13 footers would also do fine. I only saw the St. Jean near the mouth and didn't fish it because we were too early for that river (we fished the first few days of June) but it would seem to be the same deal there. If I do it again next year, I'll have both my 14' and 12' rod ready. I'd say the water I fished varied from between 50'-120' wide with a few spots, like Still Pool on the York in Zone 4 (pool #19) even narrower yet. I think anything between 12-14' rod will do you well. As I proofread this it seems I have a lot of verbiage without saying a whole lot. Let me know if you need more clarification.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.