Fly Fishing Forum banner

York, Dartmouth, St. Jean Newbie

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Green Ghost 
#1 ·
Booked for a week on these three rivers (depending on lottery draws), couple of days guided and then DIY for the rest. Can't wait but in the meantime I would like to spend countless hours at my vice. I can found voluminous fly patterns for Atlantics but I would like to specialize in a dozen or so that give me some of my best shots at fish in these rivers mid to late June. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, where's the best "just off the water" brew in Gaspe?

#2 ·
Gaspe

I can not comment about the "Brew House" but the flies are another matter. Quebec Sporting is a sponsor of this forum, and they have a gallery of appropriate flies. The classics must include: Tiger Ghost, Blue Charm, Muddlers, Black Bear, and many more. If you tie the different colors and sizes you're set. Remember: " All of these flies will catch fish and yet none of these flies work."

#3 ·
The list is near endless, but I wouldn't go without the Silver RAT, Rusty RAT, Picasse, Green Widow, Sugerman Shrimp, and John Olin flies in my box. I also had luck there with a Laxå Blue which you won't normally find on lists like this. Have a great trip and do get in touch with Ann (Quebec Sporting) long before you go. You will be glad you did.

#4 ·
Flies plus

Thanks for the tips. Hooked up with Quebec Sporting for a couple guiding days and they have been awesome to work with. Great quote about all and none. I have. Even reading about stonefly nymphs working up that way, in interesting colors, any experiences with that?

#6 ·
Thanks for the tips. Hooked up with Quebec Sporting for a couple guiding days and they have been awesome to work with. Great quote about all and none. I have. Even reading about stonefly nymphs working up that way, in interesting colors, any experiences with that?
The black and green stonefly patterns used up there are a lot different than a stonefly nymph that a trout angler might use. I almost added those two to my list above, but knew they were just a few of a bunch more I could add. Be sure you buy or tie stonefly patterns designed to be used for salmon fishing.

#5 ·
Dry Flies

Don't forget to tie some dries and bombers. The Gaspe salmon love them. The riffling hitch works well too. Let Ann guide you to what patterns you should be tying. She is the best! I might run into you there. My partner and I got good preseason numbers on the Dartmouth and St.-Jean rivers.

Good luck!

Earle

#8 ·
They might. I've never tried them. Most of my dry stuff up there has been done with LARGE bombers. Truth is, though, that the timeline you're talking isn't the best for dries, whether dead drifted or skated. Don't get me wrong, my guide had me throwing bombers on the opening day on the Petite Cascapedia one year, but it's not prime time for that type of fishing by any means. Bring the stimulators and let us know how well they worked.

#9 ·
Nov. Draw

I got 43rd on the St. Jean. As a first timer I have no idea if this is good, bad or ugly. I am fishing the 3rd week of June so any suggestions for beats on that stream at that time of year would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
PS anyone coming to VT and wanting some trout action drop me a line, guided here for the past dozen years.
John

#10 ·
Third Week of June on St. Jean

John, I've fished this river during June, and there are typically fish in Zone 1. I also fished Zone 2 for the first time last June. The road into Lady Gray and Lady Mary was terrible, but the two runs are beautiful...classic rock gardens. Not sure what your draw will allow, but hopefully you'll get lucky. I'll be up there fishing from the 9th to the 18th. Maybe we'll cross paths.

#11 ·
Besides all kinds of Bomber dries, I primarily fish three flies. A black one, a white one, and a muddler.

My favorite black flies are the green butt and black dose.
My favorite white fly is the Pelletier tied small, on #8s + #10s fished in the tailouts of the pools.
Then its there is the Muddler. I've come to love the Muddler. I tie them from #12 and up to a #2/0 as classics with gold body and red tag/brown bucktail+turkey for wing/small dear hair head as well as many variations. Green Muddlers are killers on the Bonnie and the York and perhaps would be great on the St Jean. Gold and Copper with a touch of red are great on the Matane.

#12 ·
The height and color of the water will dictate the size and color of the pattern for the time you are there. Size matters so I carry many sizes in many patterns. You pick your dates, you roll the dice on water levels, and you adjust your tippet, fly size and length of leader to those conditions. You have been provided with excellent advice across the board from seasoned veterans on the good patterns for these waters. All three Gaspe rivers are different. Size, Color and Characteristics. A Quebec sporting guide is a great advantage for finding the fish. Plan on Hard work and get your arm warmed up for long casting days in advance of your trip. Best Of Luck to You!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.