Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hand-built Rowing Dory

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  nmbrowncom 
#1 ·
Wow - what a great experience spending the week in beautiful Newport RI building my new dory!

Here's the view looking out the window of the work bay

With strakes and structure underway...

Transom detail...

Seats cut, mahogany rail setting...

Lots left to do, but I expect it will be fully finished and trimmed to suit my aesthetic perspective for such a craft before the fall run.

See less See more
#2 ·
Juro
Very nice! That kind of stuff really speaks to me. Wish I'd had know about this....I might have gone also.

How are you going to finish her out...painted or clear? Will you be able to sail her? Looks super...great job!

I've been following the builds of cold formed NC hull boats on another forum. It really is interesting to see how it's done. Man ....it looks like a lot of work. ;)

Please keep posting your progress....very interesting

#3 ·
I am going to finish in a classic white hull (5 coats) using marine oil based enamel, with the mahogany rail varnished as well as the seats and transom. I am thinking of painting the interior either a pearl gray or maybe a seafoam green. I may put something with a little traction on the deck as long as it does not compromise the overall aesthetic of a wooden boat maybe only as high as the first lower strake plank.

#6 ·
Great boat

Looks really great, it should go through the water like a squid. Stitch and glue and its variations have to be the best way to build small light boats. Congrats.
Jon

Attachments

#7 ·
juro said:
wow - didn't even think of that! It's for the rudder in a sail config but sculling sounds great. I'll try to find a fitting for that socket.
Technically it's a Thole. You shouldn't need any fitting, but depending on what wood you used for the transom, you may want to rim it with rock maple or similar.

#9 ·
Juro,

Very nice! Is that a Chesapeake Light Craft kit and building class? CLC describes the dory as once being the primary recreational craft on the New England Coast... "the Boston Whaler of the early 20th Century." Cool.

I've been eyeballing one of their kayaks and their small "Pocket ship" sailboat. All their offerings are attractive!

Good fishing,
desmobob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.