Fly Fishing Forum banner

Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week - Night Hawk

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Begbie 
#1 ·
A very well known architect named Stanford White invented this fly around the turn of the century. The original was tied as a feather wing, black quill section, with a topping of golden pheasant crest and this version is still in use today. However, the hair-wing version is a bit more popular. The fly was made for fishing the Restigouche river but has become popular through out eastern Canada, especially in Newfoundland.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Oval silver tinsel and yellow silk.
Tail: Golden pheasant crest
Butt: Red dubbing.
Body: Flat silver tinsel.
Rib: Oval silver tinsel
Wing: Black bear or squirrel hair.
Hackle: Black.
Sides: Jungle cock.
Cheeks: Kingfisher.
Head: Red

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
sweet fly.

Charlie,

I just found some amazing holographic silver plastic (shaving cream can label),
and was looking for a silver body fly to tie.
Great proportion, and nice head.
How many coats of head cement, (and what kind) are you using on this.

Thanks,
Steve

#7 ·
I have used the fly for years -- yours being a most beautiful rendition -- but did not know it was originated by Stanford White. White was himself something of a "Nighthawk" having a well-deserved "reputation as a libertine and voluptuary" and taste for very young, beautiful women. He was shot dead on the roof of Madison Square Garden in 1906 by the millionaire Harry K. Thaw, husband of Evelyn Nesbit, one of White's conquests.

#8 ·
A fascinating story Charles, it seems his skills at luring salmonids were rivaled by his skills at luring the fairer sex. However gruesome his ending there seems to be an element of fate in it suggesting that over-indulgence in either results in a loss of life as we know it or in this case life itself.

I could also argue that it's not we who do the luring, but we are the lured. God help us men! :hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.