Fly Fishing Forum banner

Color my world

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bob Pink 
#1 ·
Observed Kenny Abrames slide show at the Marlborough Flying Show this weekend. Not you typical slide show presentation, only two dozen pics. Lecture followed. All the shots were taken underwater featuring baitfish and crustaceans under normal light conditions. Not sure if all of them were taken on site. Some looked like they might have been taken as if you were looking through an Aquarium. Very interesting stuff though.

Some baitfish were front lit exposing the true colors of the prismatic scale. Others were backlighted, showing the bait as translucent, except in the areas of the organs of course.

Kenny analyzes and duplicates these color schemes that you see in his underwater shots. His line of saddle hackles reflect these earth tone hues.

A few years ago, a lamp manufacture (OTT) claimed clarity in true color reproduction. They claimed that their lamp produced the truest colors of natural light.

My question is, If you match the colors that you would normally see underwater at the tying vise, wouldn't that color scheme change once you submersed the fly under the media of water? Isn't it fruitless? What good is it really, when we try to match colors at the tying table? If we were doing dry flies, than I could understand, because you view them and fish them in the same light media.

I think I'll stick to my rainbow colors and prismatic color schemes and let nature take it's course. Any thoughts.

RS

See less See more
#2 ·
Ray...
Being one with the fly and trying to match what nature has conceived is what this is all about...and it's the inner joy that you feel, when you turn a pile of glitter and feathers into a functional extension of your imagination, that makes this passion so wonderful...and besides that, it's FUN and you get to meet some swell folks while you're at it. Chase that rainbow!
Cheers

#3 ·
Ray,
The the most thought-provoking part of Kenny's presentation for me was the issue that we look at a fly based on how it looks in reflected light above water. Ken seemed to imply that the most typical situation while fishing is one where the fish is observing the fly in contrast. I agree those shots showng the translucent images of the smaller baits were eye-popping. Now, as the baits get bigger (macks, herring, adult pogies etc) they lose that translucent nature and become more opaque, that might be one of the reasons why as the baits get larger it is more important to match the size & profile instead of the actual coloration.

And then there's whole 'energy' thing........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.