Fly Fishing Forum banner

Who is Going Fishing this Weekend

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jeffg 
#1 ·
Who is going this Saturday. Stripers or Fresh? Does and one want to Clave-up?
I was thinking of taking a trip either down south or hitting the ponds?

#2 ·
Nate -

Jay and I were hoping for the upper Merrimac salmon thing but with the deluge that's not going to work.

Trout in stillwater should be OK but streams are BLOWN. Cape ponds are doing well, and maybe we should follow Roop around the south shore ponds

Stripers gotta be on the verge, but this is without a doubt a late year. The next two weeks will be telling for Terry's Clave. I will be bringing the 5wt that weekend... just in case. Hope I don't need to use it!

Sean Fields reports his first bass in Pleasant Bay, so they are trickling in.

Discouraging that RI is still not underway though. I remember Aprils past when the fish were thick up and down the Nantucket Sound shoreline.

I will probably save brownie points for the following weekend, but would be game for a double-dipper on the cape. Trout / striper investigation one of the two days. Let me check with the war dept.

Juro

#3 ·
Firends,

Saturday is out for me, I am fortunate enough to have been signed up for the advanced salt casting clinic with George Roberts (thanks to my wife for the B-day present).

Sunday I need to make some kind of attempt to work on the yard & gardens,etc... The neighbors are getting restless.

My trout pond is no secret, just overlooked by the hordes.
Email me if you want directions.

And if Powers is out there, I have my buddy who runs a couple of bogs in Myles Standish researching the mystery brookie pond - we're closing in. Unless it's been paved over since Juro (the old man) fished there when he was a wee lad.

Roop

#6 ·
Mike -

It's funny you said that! Whem Roop told me he thinks he figured it out the first thing I said was good - I'm gonna tell Powers so he doesn't think I'm on drugs. Then again I was wondering if you found some weeds in the corn patch the way you kept after it.

In any case, spending some time in spring floating around in those secluded ponds is a way to meet some really gorgeous trout. I hardly get thrilled about stocker trout, although it's entertaining I don't get a sense of satisfaction like I do from wild fish. The trout in that particular region of our state have that wild hair. The rumor is that these ponds have not been stocked for many years, yet there are plenty of trout and do they ever look great compared to their cousins fresh off the truck.

Hate to say I ate one a long time ago and the meat was a deep pink / red color. Unless that was all part of the matrix too...

#8 ·
I'm staying low key for the following weekend. But a Sat or Sun am. trip from 1st light to about 10 am would be great. Need a canoe and a pond in Northeast Ma. Maybe Whites. Actually I prefer moving waters, maybe the streams will be back in shape by then. I know! Baddacook Pond.

TerryW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.