Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pike Clave '04

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
It's not too early to start thinking about a pike clave....:)

Easter comes early this year (April 11th), so the better fishing (water temperature wise) should be after the holiday. I have my eyes set on April 25th, and if there are any potential problems with people being able to attend that date then we could do it a week earlier (the 18th) or a week later (May 2nd).

This usually isn't too large of an event, and this season my boat will be part of the picture.

Any interest? I have even more spots to fish this time around. ;)

#2 ·
For the past couple of years, I have wanted to try for a pike on the fly--where will this take place? The river is long...

Also, I have done a bit of reading on pike, and in Mass it seems the only self sustaining population of pike is in the Ct river. Most of the other locations are all stocked fish. How true is this statement, and if true would it change a normal springtime behavior of the fish?

kirk

#3 ·
I can neither confirm nor deny whether the only self-sustaining population of pike in MA is in the CT River. I can however say that whether native or stocked, they all exhibit the same springtime behavior.

We fish the river in central CT, south of Hartford and north of Essex. I know that still leaves a lot of water, but depending on the thaw there are some places that are better than others and options have to be left open.

#4 ·
Dude, count me in as long as someone doesn't mind me stowing away on their boat. I haven't fished for pike in years (though I've caught more than my fair share of pickerel growing up in South Jersey), and now that I'm in NY it wouldn't be too far a drive to meet you guys. Either the weekend of the 25th or 2nd is fine with me; the earliest weekend is out.

#5 ·
How could I miss this one!

I will be there, wet suit, kayak etc.

I also plan to check out one or two other spots this year like the Bantam River/Lake system & Housatonic.

#6 ·
I hope to make it this year. If so I can bring my 12' tin boat provided that we launch and stay in protected waters. I can take one additional person but we would have to take turns casting.

Kirk, there are a few places with self-sustaining pike populations in western MA, including Lake Buel, Onota Lake, Pontoosuc Lake, Cheshire Reservoir and the Houstatonic River. I have had my best (i.e., only) success with the flyrod in the Housatonic River, but ice fishermen often catch monsters in Pontoosuc and Onota lakes so I know they're in there. I think the pike population in Cheshire Lake has declined dramatically in the last decade or two, but the ice guys used to catch them there as well. Lake Buel seems to have a healthy population but I haven't fished it enough to know for sure.

Q

p.s., I think the Charles River in eastern MA has good pike fishing too, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge of that.

#12 ·
I just finished checking the tides for the area of the river we would be fishing on the 25th.....incoming from late morning to late afternoon. This means access to some very fishy spots!

Perhaps the pike gods are smiling upon us. :D

Let's hope for stable weather during that time frame (fingers crossed).

#17 ·
Red/white
Red/yellow
Chartruese/white
Chartruese/yellow
Blue/white
All white
All yellow
All chartruese

Some people do well with black, but I haven't. Maybe I just have enough success with the aforementioned colors to really give it a fair shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.