Fly Fishing Forum banner

Life on the other side-Not Fishing

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  JimW 
#1 ·
So all,
How's the off season treating you? I've caught up on sleep. Been cooking up a storm in the kitchen. Working every weekend on projects in the yards (mothers and in laws too :eyecrazy: )
Playing some music. Haven't cleaned out the reels yet. Truck is cleaned out of smelly gear.
Just feeling like I 've got a lot accomplished. It's great to rejoin the human race and not feel like I'm missing a blitz somewhere.
How much longer before May 1st? Must be getting close :chuckle:

Lefty

#2 ·
New boots, skis waxed, reels still salty (not good), car's cleaned and I can't wait for it to snow!!!

Nick

#4 ·
Off season?

I got this email from a guy who fished early today:

Quick report for ya. Water temp from 62 to 65 still!!
Did ok this morning with a few technical difficulties but still got some fish. I went to the lookout shoals and it was breaking pretty big and the birds were right in the heavy surf eating it up. Looked like albacore and bluefish. I braved the swell and eased in the vicinity of the breaking waves. Made 2 throws and was hooked into a nice 2lb bluefish. Nice schools of them running around. He had about 15 buddies with him when he came to the boat. Well.. I had to turn around and head away from the breakers since the strong current was pulling me toward the breakers too fast for me to even work a lure for a single cast. I put him in the box and eased out for some calmer waters. Found some albacore scattered about and started casting a Tsunami swim bait. Same lure I got the blue on. After about 20 casts in the area I had seen one or two albacore break the water and nothing since I had a swirl at my bait. He missed but about 5 casts later one inhaled it and the run was on. 10 minutes later a nice 7 or 8 lb albacore was in the boat. A snapshot and back into the water. Self portrait didn't work due to a cold foggy camera but oh well. Went to the spit and found some more albacore working in 10ft to 10 inches of water. 2 flyasters on shore had albacore eating bait as close as their knees. Saw one explosion of albacore in the 10 feet between the guys shore casting. Talk about a heart stopper. Both guys hooked up. I saw them catch and release about 8 albacore from shore and I hooked into 2 on the fly but running the boat and casting was tough and didn't make as many casts as most other people. Still hooked up twice. Lost the first fish immediately and the second fish ran to the backing. That was when my handle decided to fall off the fly reel. Not good. The fish ran at me and I was trying to spin the reel by hand to take up some line. Slack line and a loose fish. Was fun though. That action was pretty good on the outgoing tide. The fly I was using was a Tuitty Fruity tied by yours truly. Always makes it a little more fun. Oh and also got one trout about halfway between the dead tree hole and the beaufort channel in about 32 feet of water. A few boats were pooled up there and catching some trout deep. I had to get in so I stopped , caught one and left in about 5 minutes.
Catch ya later,
Scott
P.S. the albicore are eating some of the biggest glass minnows I've ever seen at the shoals. They had to be 6 inches or more.

#5 ·
AAAAaaaarrRRRRgggGGGGGgggggG!!!!!!

Ya gotta stop Gordo!

Just kidding, say what do you think my chances would be from shore? I am dying to put this new rod to the test, if say 130-140 ft casts were easy for me... could I do it?

I've seen some cheap flights lately, after turkey day...

#6 ·
You could easily do it if the fish were there. That would be the biggest hurdle. If they aren't there, they aren't there. Sometimes they run that beach without showing themselves though. With the two hander you can make those long casts all day long. My offer from before still stands (if you remember it)

#8 ·
Alright who's in? Leaving the day after Thanksgiving from Manchester NH to Raleigh-Durham, returning Tuesday... $192 round trip!!! WHO'S IN?

I need some crazy hardcore anglers to split the rental car and angler style motel room with me.

Who's that I hear a knockin... why it's OLD MAN WINTER! :devil:

#10 ·
Life on the Other Side

Juro,

If NC falls through, may I suggest jetty country in North Joisey? Two things make it look promising to my untrained eye:

1) Perfect structure for long casts,line control, greased line technique (if waqves are calm), appropriate range.

2) North Joisey crowd interested in the idea of long, two-handers and/or Spey rods. In fact, local fly shop owner is really starting to push the idea for us "older" anglers. Marketing possibility???

3) Oh, yeah...fish.

Several of us are getting together over the T-day weekend. Might be worth a trip, and accommodations could be cheap. What do you think?

Best regards,

-Doc

#11 ·
Still outdoors!

Hey Lefty!
Had a great season so far with Deer and Geese and Ducks and 3 types of grouse/partridge(s).
Had one of the best deer steaks I've had in a long time tonite.
The garlic and italian spicy and camper sausages are going fast..
Weather has been really cold the last week so I'll wait until we get above freezing again to hit the Bow some more!

#12 ·
Doc -

What a very tempting invitation! Sorry I've been limited to drive-by postings lately and didn't see your reply until now.

Definitely a consideration... both from a fish and fun perspective!

Say how's the fishing been in that area lately - do you have confidence that there will be some decent action to be had?

#13 ·
Thanksgiving weekend forecast for Cape Lookout

COASTAL MARINE FORECAST...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC
315 AM EST TUE NOV 25 2003

AMZ158-251600-
S OF CAPE LOOKOUT TO N OF SURF CITY NC OUT 20NM-
315 AM EST TUE NOV 25 2003

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY

TODAY
NE WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 5 TO 6 FEET IN WIND WAVE AND NE
SWELL.

TONIGHT
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 4 TO 5 FEET...EXCEPT 3 TO 4
FEET NEAR SHORE IN NE SWELL.

WED
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET.

WED NIGHT
NE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET...EXCEPT 2 TO 3
FEET NEAR SHORE.

THANKSGIVING DAY
E WINDS 5 KT BECOMING SW 10 TO 15 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

THU NIGHT
SW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 4 TO 5 FEET BUILDING TO 6 TO
7 FEET AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

FRI
NW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 5 TO 6 FEET.

SAT
NW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET.

Not really too good for ya, Juro. I actually have no free weekends until Dec 20.

#14 ·
Terry... we missed each other this year..but my fault though... Hope to see you over the winter and hopefully we can get together this spring. I have more time and will have my gear with me at home here and am determined to make time to hit the North Shore..

#15 ·
Almost Done

Gear still in the car... salt caked reels.. uncleaned rods, enough sand in the back to make a huge sand castled, flies on the dash and floor. Wont clean a thing until Raritan and Sandy hook are void of life. I think there will be a few more weekends before the fat lady sings down there. Boats ready to go at a moments notice although its begging for a good cleaning, winterazation and a cover, I just cant bring myself to put it to bed just yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.