Fly Fishing Forum banner

Phenomenal Story of Adaptation (no FF content)

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Chris 
#1 ·
ESPN2 ran a segment about a man who was born with no arms. He grew up using his feet for "hands" and has adapted to his situation so well that I would hesitate to refer to him as "disabled". Turns out he is also an avid fisherman. He fishes with a spinning rod attached to a sandal on his casting foot and uses the other foot to work the reel and hold/release the line while casting. Using his feet, he is able to put a minnow on a hook, cast his line out, reel in the fish and pull the starting cord on the outboard. I think he said that he can even tie a knot with his toes! Needless to say I was impressed!

Q

#2 ·
I have been witness to some pretty incredible adaptation in my day. My older brother Rob was born a quadral amputee (his arms only go slightly beyond the elbow with no hands, and his legs stop just after the knee joint with no feet). He has been the victim of constant ridicule in his childhood years from kids who were afraid or simply didn't understand his situation. My parents refused to treat him any different than me or my younger brother, and it helped Rob to become a very strong and self-reliant individual.

Rob doesn't have the fishing fever like I do, but he caught some nice ones in his day. I remember my dad constantly unhooking sunfish and perch for him up on some small Maine lakes, and every once in a while there would be a large bass being coralled into the boat accompanied by a big grin on Rob's face. He wears artificial limbs to help him perform everyday tasks, and he's become so adept with them that he can ride a bike, rollerskate, play the keyboards, shoot hoops.......in his mind, he's normal and everyone else is different. I love him dearly for his positive attitude, and probably don't tell him enough.

Sorry for the digression, but I need to take stock of things like this once in a while. Life goes by pretty quickly, and if you don't stop once in a while to look around you might miss it. :)

Thanks for the post, Q. It made my day. I think I'll be calling my brother tonight.

#3 ·
Your welcome Mark.

I just posted it as a point of interest -- I guess I didn't realize how "close to home" some of these things are. I'm glad you enjoyed it and that your brother has prevailed where many would give up or become bitter.

BTW, they ran the piece again at about 5:30 p.m. so it may be on again later this week or on the weekend.

Q

#4 ·
Interesting story- I went to college with a guy born without arms. He was able to drive an un-adapted car as well as just about everything else he cared to try. BTW, we regularly kicked my butt (no pun intended) on video games.
I am continually amazed by the character ofthe human spirit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.